Sunday, September 18, 2011

Kristin Barrett

I wrote a book, more like a memoir, entitled As the Board Breaks. I share it with very few people, and I have been re-writing it several times. I split it up into "sagas" because that is exactly what my life has been broken into: sagas. In the first saga, there is a chapter entitled Kristin Barrett, in which I dedicate an entire chapter to this one person.

I began martial arts in 1998. And there has been one person who I began with and has been in my life since day one in one way or another, and that was Kristin for me. In martial arts, you create friends whom you will have for the rest of your life, and anyone who has trained in the martial arts with us, especially those who Black Belt test together, and it is because you are sharing such a deep and personal discipline that creates such unbreakable bonds.

Kristin and I took every color belt test together, we took a Black Belt test together, we competed together, and we both taught together. Many students remember the Barrett-Trento team in martial arts almost as a Golden Era in their martial arts training. The two names were and remain today synonymous in martial arts.

Two weeks before what WOULD have been our 2nd Degree Black Belt test together, she had a falling out with our instructor and after seven years, she was no longer apart of our school. I was devastated and angry. She later tried going to a couple other schools, enlisted in the national guard, and when she heard in October 2009 that I was training people privately during the time I was trying to build a school of my own, she contacted me and asked me to train her in hopes one day she will take that 2nd Degree test.

Well two years later, she felt she was ready to do this test and when looking for the dates of the test which would be in September, I noticed that the same dates as MY 2nd Degree test (Sept 12-17, 2005) were the same dates available this year, Sept 12-17, 2011. Coincidental? Or Coincide-al?

I wanted to give her the test she was denied years ago, but at the same time make it my own kind of test. Put in the lessons and create the standards I saw fit for a 2nd Degree Black Belt. The test was a 6 day test. Monday through Friday we met at my center for 2 to 2 1/2 hours each morning. Monday was the written test where she answered questions based on two books I made her read for the test: Zen in the Martial Arts and The Secret. (Saw that coming, didn't you =P)

Tuesday was her conditioning test, which I know she was most afraid about, because she felt due to all the injuries she had suffered over the years, her body would not be able to handle it. But I made her read The Secret for a reason. I knew she could do every task I was going to through at her, as long as she kept those mental lessons fresh in her mind and made the attempt to apply them seriously. I think it is safe to say she surprised even herself at what she was able to do!

She did a total of 3,000 jumping jacks for the day, plyomentrics, speed drills and exceeding expectations by several kicks and beating her personal best time which she was so darn proud of, hopped on one leg for five minutes both sides, sitting position with 24 pounds on her legs for 5 min, and 4 min planks. WOW! Then Wednesday came for Self-Defense. We started with 30 min of conditioning anyway, then low level escapes, high level self-defenses, free style attacking where she defended herself in low level scenarios and then high level scenarios. Then I set up a closed, confined space scenario like an elevator in which she had to defend herself in, and then free style self-defense wearing only masks for protection. At the end I made her do a 3 board turning hook kick speed break. It was tough, but after several chances and pushing herself and facing her fear of PAIN, she did it!

Thursday was forms, where she performed her prearranged movements straight through and then all facing different directions, her Black Belt forms backwards, her color belt forms under a minute (which three weeks ago after 45 min did unsuccessfully, this time took 2 tries), and her favorite and least favorite form of each level. Friday was basics and she performed her blocks, then stood on two stacks of boards for 5 min each side for two different stances with 5 pound dumbbells in her hands while outstretched to the sides (totaling 20 minutes.) Then all her kicks, balancing herself on one leg on a stack of boards while doing a front kick for 5 minutes (both sides), all her kicking combinations, all the combinations with 5 different footwork, and then all in under one minute.
(Kristin Barrett before the sixth and final day of her 2nd Degree Black Belt test in front of the traditional Zen Candle which stays lit for the remainder of the test.)

Yesterday was the final day. Many students and their families, alumni, and friends old and new were in attendance, including my mentor Professor Lisa Sargese, fellow Black Belt Peter Dunphy, and dear friend Jessie Peralta. Kristin's parents were obviously there as well, they are indeed her biggest fans. 

I don't know what the biggest surprise was for her, but the first was the judges. I always select the judges based on the people testing. SO it only seemed fitting to have the ones who began Kristin's journey with me and watched us go through the ranks to test this long awaited test. Miss Carla Rodriguez was an instructor of ours when we were WHITE BELTS! She has always played such a big role for us at our old school in our martial arts school, and she was happy to be back in uniform for Kristin's test. Mr. Jeff Checkley was yet another of our original instructors and taught our old Demo Team which Kristin was on. These two haven't seen each other for ten years! 
 
Mr. Mike Duke was not only one of the adult Black Belt students we trained with and trained ourselves, but Kristin also trained his two children who are also Black Belts in the martial arts. Mr. Chris Ward and I received our Black Belts together, and was a key figure in our beginning years of martial arts. When she opened her eyes and saw Mr. Ward at the table, her eyes became teary, she was so surprised to see him. Also was an old friend and now Black Belt, John Vanderhee, who trained both with me and Kristin at the end of her time at our old school. An old school friend of mine and excellent martial artist, who has his own school in Springfield, came as a judge as an outsider, named George Valentino. Mr. Valentino not only judged but did a special demonstration with two of his students for Ms Barrett. And our final judge was my mentor Master Samuel DeJesus, the embodiment of a true martial arts master in my eyes. 
 
We opened up our ceremony talking about Ms Barrett and already the tears were flowing. We then began the test with her performing more of her forms. Nervousness, surprise, and emotions took away from her focus a little at the beginning but she continued to sharpen her focus as the test went on. We did a judges choice portion where each judge asked Kristin to do a task or ask a question.

Miss Rodriguez had her do as many jumping jacks as she could do in 2 minutes, Mr. Checkley asked a thought provoking question, Mr. Duke had her do 50 squat thrusts, Mr. Ward had her do a form backwards, Mr. Vanderhee asked for a particular form to be performed, Mr. Valentino had her do her most difficult form blindfolded, and Master DeJesus asked three very personal questions to get to see a little more of the inside of Kristin's mind as a Black Belt.

Then we did sparring. Four of my Black Belts plus Mr. Vanderhee, Mr. Valentino, and Master DeJesus sparred Ms Barrett. She did three 2 min matches, 10 minutes rapid sparring where every 15 seconds someone new sparred her, then the three Black Belt judges sparred her at the same time for a minute and a half. Then Kristin did her low level self-defenses and high level self-defenses. That was warm up for what was to come.

When we originally took our Black Belt tests, we did an insane self-defense confrontation. Well I believed that it's been several years and if she is going for a brand new belt, she should perform under the same conditions we originally tested and at a more personal level. We took out a tarp and wet it with water. She took her out blind folded and threw her on the ground while the music blasted and she was attacked with all her senses gone, the lights out. It was a very emotional thing to watch. But what was even more emotional was this:

I had both her parents stand at one corner of the tarps, she did not know they were there. I told her to not let the attacker pass. I explained to her that she was not the target, the target was behind her. When she turned and saw her parents, she became emotional immediately. But when she defended them, it was like watching an entirely different person. The fire came out, there was no stopping her.

Then she did all her breaks with two boards each. One break in particular was two boards turning back hook kick. After two aims, she asked if she could switch side, afraid of breaking her ankle or heel, the pain made itself known right away. I asked the judges their thoughts. Five said yes she could, in fear of injury. Two said no. I then asked each for the reasoning's and after hearing them all out, I put it back on Ms Barrett. I explained we heard yes and no's and all good points, but what was her thoughts after hearing them all. She then decided she will do the break with the same leg. I asked her if she was sure and if it was her final answer. "Yes, Sir."

I most likely would have made her do it anyway. But it had to be HER choice. It is not our abilities that define who we are, but our choices. Her choice showed great character. She did of course break the boards. She ended breaking by creating her own combination, including her signature three board speed ridge hand break, she used to win competitions with when we were kids.
The judges then met with me in my office as we made our final decision. They were all deeply impressed, especially the ones who remembered her when she was that little girl growing up who used to let pain stop her. Today, she stopped pain in its tracks. Her perseverance in hand with great determination was unbeatable. She was true to herself, did not let emotions overcome her, while not denying them as well (which we were taught to do and many of the judges remembered that). And our guest judges were equally proud of the performance shown to them by Ms Barrett, never seeing a test quite like this one. They believed they truly go to know her as the test progressed, and you can't get anymore personal than that!

Many families and friends shared their feelings after the judges made their comments, and reminisced about the memories that have had of Ms Barrett. Lisa was amazed, never seeing a Black Belt test before. My own students, especially the females, were in awe of what they witnessed. And her father stood up stating proudly "I AM YOUR BIGGEST FAN! I AM ALWAYS YOUR BIGGEST FAN!" No truer words could have been spoken.

I tried very hard to compose myself, but it was tough. The tears kept coming. I was so proud of her, and proud as an instructor, as well as a friend. However, Kristin isn't a friend, she is family. We've been through so much growing up, and I was so happy for her, words cannot describe how proud I am. The Webster-Dictionary of English can try all they want, they won't justify any word to portray how I feel.

But if there is one thing I am still trying to get over it is this: Kristin Barrett had an instructor who she considered to be her role model. She has not seen her in eleven years, maybe more, and I tried for months along with some of the other judges to convince this role model to come to the test. She declined respectfully many times due to her negative experiences with our former instructor, and I persisted and persisted to the very end. It looked as if she would not come...

UNTIL! Lo and behold, Miss Danielle Schneider did indeed attend as a spectator for Kristin's test. I don't know who was more surprised. Me, the other judges who know her, or Kristin. Kristin actually cried when she saw she was there while warming up for the test. I think that is what Miss Schneider was going for though, to surprise us ALL! We she accomplished that! When it was time for Kristin to recite the Black Belt oath, Miss Schneider came onto the mats to read the oath to Kristin. Talk about everything coming full circle! It was more than fitting. It was an absolutely thrilling and humbling to have Miss Schneider on the mats with us again.
(Miss Danielle Schneider embracing Kristin before the reading of the Black Belt oath.)
 
 

No one should ever tell you that you can't be something, or you can't do something, or you won't accomplish something. No one should ever deny who someone is, or how they are, or what someone believes, or what someone values. When you get the "haters" and people who put you down, never EVER allow them to do so. Kristin Barrett is a prime example to never allowing anything or anyone stand in the way of her goals.

I didn't just test a student this past week. I tested one of my bestest friends. It was a very special day, and I hope it was a test she will always remember, a test in which she got a lot out of, a test where she felt validated, and a test in which she will hold as an ultimate reference point. But on a personal note, I speak directly to you now Kristin:

Thank you for the many years of friendship. You complete me in your own way, I have always told you that. Thank you for always being a beacon of light for me, as I hope I have been for you. The martial arts is something I hold so dear to my heart and my greatest passion, and you have been there from day one. I hope you will always keep it as a part of you, and words escape me for how proud I am of you. As a student, as a friend, and a human being. Well done. Well done...

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO

2 comments:

  1. It was an honor and a privilege to be part of this miraculous day. I am forever changed.
    http://theskinnyonline.blogspot.com/2011/09/kristin-barrett-second-degree-black.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I said before, this is a step forward into living the past behind. And the two of you have made many proud, but most importantly you have shut people up(and you know who I'm talking about). Your success are a slap in the face of those who hurt you and turned there back on you. But you took with you the lessons learned and used them as your support to propel you forward.

    ReplyDelete