Monday, September 19, 2011

Test Reflections

I have been to thirty four Black Belt tests in over 13 years. The last five were tests that I myself had facilitated at my own school, Trento's Martial Art and Fitness Center. It was very different being the one running the test instead of just being a part of it as a judge or the assistant instructor. Being the Chief Instructor conducting the test there are certain criteria one must meet.

For example, when I was Mr. Trento the assistant instructor, I would watch all my students prepare for their tests. I would give a lot of advice, drills that would help prepare, sometimes do them with the students, train with them on the side, and ON the actual tests, I would even jump in as part of the support when I saw a struggle. One time a student had a difficult time doing 1,000 jumping jacks, I got up an started doing them with her. Before we knew it, a crowd of people were doing jumping jacks with her for positive energy, including her father in a suit and tie.

Another time a student had to hop on one leg fr 5 min and it took over an hour before he did it, but after 20 minutes, I got up and started hopping with him. Then two other Black Belts joined us too! And another test a girl had to run side to side a number of times in a certain time limit, and I remember I ended up running in with her. There were times I would yell encouragement, hints, etc. But being the one doing the tests now, I wear a different hat, and must have a different demeaner.

Sometimes I have to be a very stern. Sometimes I have to hold the students accountable. Sometimes a little pompous to get a reaction out of them. I cannot hint or help, nor jump in there with them, when there are many times I want to very much. I have to hold back my tears too when I get so proud of them, or feel their struggle.

My first Black Belt test was very exciting, held November 2009. I knew exactly who I wanted to judge it, I knew exactly what tasks I would have the candidates do, I knew what lessons they would need to learn, I wrote up the written test, and did all the scheduling. It really was a great test, and they were surprised at what they were able to do, because I was training them prior to the test with my own style of teaching and drills where I worked on what Randy Pausch would call "head fakes." Pretty much working and improving on things without knowing you were doing so.

We were limited to certain things, like breaking and sparring. But drills that worked on other things like forms, kicks, and self-defense increased their improvement with these other things without doing them. Now only I could truly understand this. I didn't share it either, I was just doing so. It was new to these students, even though I trained them before at our old school. Parents didn't understand this because I never talked about it, but I was confident, and they did great!

But the three were very nervous, almost scared, because they were still thinking of the tests my old master would produce. So I had the judges be stern, but with a light heart atmosphere to get THEM in a relaxed state to perform better. Again, spectators did not understand this, because I didn't say anything. We used to make jokes about how my old master would talk and talk and drag on and drag on. But I learned now why he did that. It was more for the audience's benefit, not the ones taking the test. It was his way of getting the people watching to understand.

So I learned something. I did very well producing a test based on what I was taught by my master, yet had a Trento-twist to it all. It was something of my own, but I still dealt with fighting the aura of our old school. My second Black Belt test was done six months later in May 2010. I had to do an adult Black Belt test, a junior Black Belt test, and a 1st Degree Adult Maintenance test all at the same time. I was again limited and was in the middle of doing renovation to the current location of TMAFC.

Having understood what I learned from the first test, I was better prepared for the second. And I must say, I accomplished and got so much out of the three candidates. The junior Black Belt showed such great character and went out of her comfort zone so many times. The girl doing her Maintenance test improved drastically from her last test and did amazing! And I really feel I prepared the Adult Black Belt candidate so well, he truly did great. I felt I got so much out of them and that they really learned a lot from the test.

Seven months later I did my third, a 1st Degree Maintenance test for two boys. This test became more of a headache. Like I said earlier, I cannot make students do drills or prepare the way I would have done so if I were just an assistant instructor. One of the teens was very fogged in the mind, lied about mistakes or not aware of them at all, and came in overconfident. Besides the fact that first time spectators felt they know better how to conduct Black Belt tests better than me, even if it was my 30th Black Belt test involvement.

It was an experience nonetheless. I learned how our old training, we were trained to lie to ourselves. "Did you make a mistake?" "No, Sir!" "Are you doing your best?" "Yes, Sir!" "Are you tired?" "No, Sir!" If there were tears, it was get over it, put it aside and move on. And quite honestly, there is a lot wrong with denying the truth and denying your emotions that affects your physical performance and focus. That is what I saw in this test. It stuck with me.

This month I did my fourth and fifth Black Belt test. A Junior Black Belt test and a 2nd Degree Adult Black Belt test. Owen Hagmaier did such a phenomenal test and Kristin Barrett exceeded all expectations not only from other people, her judges, and friends but from HERSELF! I could not have been happier with the two of them. Owen showed such great character, more than grown adults show and every physical task we through at him, he accomplished and made it look so easy. And the tasks were NOT easy! For an 8 year old, 1,000 jumping jacks followed by deep stamina work, 50 boards on his legs for 5 minutes, 4 people attacking self-defense, 4 board then 5 board breaks, it was unbelievable!

Then Kristin's test. Setting up her mind frame beforehand, totalling 3,000 jumping jacks, then more leg work, beating her records by several kicks, beating personal times restraints, 3 board speed hook break, breaking with injury, protecting her parents in ill conditions, sparring 3 advance Black Belts, she floured everyone watching her, even her judges.

I began to doubt myself, believe it or not. Were the really challenged? Maybe I am too easy? But these were no where NEAR easy tasks! Well this is what I learned and I feel I finally one upped my old master, maybe by a few points here:

Mistakes are fine, we are flawed  and fragile beings, we learn from them and must not deny them. As long as they don't affect our focus and performance, and we are still aware they were made and admit to them, everything is fine. If you are not focused enough to know you made one, or your hesitate or stop in the middle of what you are doing, then that is a different story. That is fair. When emotions come, they are allowed. But how will you respond to them? Where will you put your focus to HELP you! That is part of the test that brings out your true essence of a Black Belt! as some of Kristin's judges told our outsiders, we were not allowed to do these things! These judges got to know the REAL person testing, whether it be Owen or Kristin.

Then it clicked! That's what I do well. Making the tests REAL. I get the REAL out of these students, and I am preparing very well to BEING REAL. And it was something greatly appreciated by all the judges.

For me, I felt truly validated when visiting judge and friend, George Valentino, and martial arts master and mentor Samuel DeJesus told me how much they enjoyed seeing the test I produced for Kristin. Two people who never saw how we test, appreciated the creativity and personal front created, and felt they really got to KNOW Kristin by the end of the test! Remember, I am on a journey to becoming a Master, and holding Black Belt tests is a big part of that. I am doing a "master's job" when it comes to testing. So this validation means so much to me on this journey. I feel like I am on the right path.

And even moreso, I really feel like I accomplished more than any test I was ever apart of at my former school with my former instructor. Especially after the back to back Owen-Kristin tests. Owen's test was full of accomplishments with this young man who is also a star in the making! And Kristin's test had several accomplishments in itself people didn't even realize, like the reunion of a very special group of people and one reluctant to even show at the beginning. I learned so much in the five tests I have done as the Chief Instructor and feel I finally found the niche needed for my Black Belt tests.

The one last thing that made me think about how I do testing for Black Belts was this: many times I have seen parents get very worked up and hate ME or my old instructor for the intensity of the test. I asked Kristin's mother how badly she hated me after the test, expecting some hostility. She said "Not at all!" I asked her if she was kidding and she replied "Not at all. You were tough, you were very tough. But you weren't cruel." Interesting. I say this: Black Belt tests are supposed to be exciting and you can be challenged and have fun at the same time, true balance! But to be afraid for your life, that is a bad sign. 

January I have a level test and May another junior and Adult Black Belt test. And I truly feel that they will be stellar tests from the candidates who will be testing.

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment