Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Road Map to Mastership

"A positive attitude is contagious. A negative attitude is destructive."
-Coach Howard Schuman, SBHS

"Be optimistic, have a positive outlook, and be part of the good energy. You and everyone around you will benefit."
-Mr. George Valentino, ATA Martial Arts in Springfield



Today, I went down to Roselle Park, NJ to see my friend, George Valentino, take his last midterm level test before he goes for his 4th Degree Black Belt. We both are testing for 4th Degree in June (not at the same place). I have known George since the first grade. We took the school bus together, and we both began training at similar times when we were younger. He took a break from his training for his four years of high school before coming back to training. He ran other people's schools and developed a great reputation for being an instructor who cares and had an opportunity to run his own school with a partner which he is doing successfully in Springfield, NJ, right around the same time I opened my own school.

We never trained together, nor have we ever seen each other perform. But we always heard a lot about the other was doing in their "martial arts life." We would always run into each other at church or at the gym, but never talked about each others martial arts experiences. No reason really, it just never came up. And yet here are two people equally passionate about martial arts and lives the life the martial arts sets forth for us, and a passion for sharing it with others through teaching, and have similar stories from our former masters.

Well I broke down the wall in the summer when I was planning Kristin Barrett's 2nd Degree Black Belt test. I did not want my own Black Belts judging her, and I wanted our former instructors to judge. But I wanted to get outside masters to see this test as well and I wanted someone who I knew had the same love for what I do. Well George was the first to pop into my head! So I called him up! And he not only judged, but graciously performed a bo staff form in honor of Kristin's test. His precision and strength was a joy to watch. And I LOVE that my students got to see other martial artists perform (Mr. Valentino brought two of his students as well).

So when he told me he was mid term testing, I was excited to go! I love seeing other schools do Black Belt testing, and if I know people who are testing, it's a real treat for me! I was supposed to go to a sparring seminar today but was canceled, so I knew spirit was working with me today! The school was twice the size of my own and the mats were the old mats I used to have at my old school. The ambiance was wonderful, and I was in Black Belt heaven! MANY adults, and there were at least 33 candidates. The main instructor actually facilitated but did not judge. Three senior masters sat at a table in front, and they didn't say one thing. They observed, took notes, and would beckon the main instructor to do things while he facilitated.

Two words to describe George and his fellow training partners: ENTHUSIASM AND DISCIPLINE. There was no doubt about it. Every single one of them were very enthusiastic about doing their forms, their weapons, sparring, and breaking. But I have the highest respect for the level of discipline they all had. I think I admired that most of all. The attention. The loud answering. The snap of their attention. Impeccable!

I enjoyed myself soooooo much! It was like Christmas morning for me. I was able to watch George perform his forms which was magnificent, he performed his bo staff form again, I witnessed brand new Taekwondo forms (It's on my list of course ;] ), saw some sparring and cool breaking, met some very high ranking masters, and I met George's partner Mr. Delano who was also midterm testing.

However one thing that REALLY caught my attention was the patch on Mr. Delano's arm which he explained to me as the Songahm Taekwondo star which symbolizes the Master's journey! I think I died a little bit on the inside, I ate EVERY word he explained to me.


The Songham Star is the pattern formed on the ground of all 18 forms of this Taekwondo system. In a perfect star, the distcnace from the center point to the top is nine feet. the total distance from the top point equals 18 feet, representing the number of forms in the Songahm system. The middle white line represents the white belt, then the other colors represent the belt system. The eight outer points all connect back to the center point. The symbolism behind the points of the star is like a road  map set out for students on their way to becoming Black Belts, and a rood map for Black Belts becoming masters. When Mr. Delano told me that I felt like a bolt of lightning hit me!

This logo was exactly what I am doing! I was looking at the road map to becoming a master. The Way of the master is to first choose mastership, then live with honor, be loyal, use your knowledge and continue to grow and learn, have vision to where you want to go with that knowledge, have respect for all you come in contact with, have humility in your heart and live a humble life, live with gratitude, and live with nobility. I got so much out of this logo!

I thank Mr. Valentino for sharing this test with me and inviting me to get a glimpse of his world. I am humbled and grateful for the experience and meeting the wonderful family of the ATA family. And it was a privilege to watch him perform. It's an even greater privilege and even a comfort to know that there is someone else using that road map of the Songahm star to becoming a master!



Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO



No comments:

Post a Comment