Sunday, October 2, 2011

Our First Competition

I am exhausted from a very full day. TMAFC had it's first competition of the season at the 3rd America Open Taekwondo Championships held at the Clifton High School in Clifton, NJ. The kids did a TERRIFIC job today, and not just in their performance. I had 15 people competing from my school, including me and some did more than one event. In forms we got five silvers, three bronzes, and seven golds. In sparring we got three silvers, one gold, and one bronze.

This is the first for most of them, and for one of them, the first time as a Black Belt. Lisa also came today to her alma mater to support me and the kids. We all came together in one big circle in an open ring and we stretched and warmed up together. I was proud right from the get-go. TThey were so loud in their counting that they echoed throughout the entire gym! They ran from one end of the gym to the next to watch their team mates compete, they were so supportive, and showed great sportsmanship. They really represented very well. They also stayed for the entire day to watch even the older kids and myself. There was so much good energy.

So a few things I need to talk about. Four points, actually. The first one is my good friend, and long time student, brother from another mother, Frankie, was coming to the competition to just observe and be supportive. Then as we arrived at the high school, he was making this face, turned his head, and then said "You know, maybe I will compete today." SO a bunch of us chipped in and signed him up for the competition. No one twisted his arm! I was so happy he chose to be a part of the competition and so proud of him. He did really well also.

The second point is the competition had an opening ceremony and all the coaches and masters got sat along this long table at the center of the gym. There must have been 30 coaches and representatives and we were all given a plaque of appreciation. If there were 30 coaches, than means 30 other schools participated, and I was told 418 competitors signed up. Then after all the plaques were presented to us, a special award was given out called "The Best School Award" for the most students entered and support for the competition. Only two schools received the award. The first was for a school in Seacaucus, NJ. Then they read the name of the second school: "Next we have, Trento's Martial Arts and Fitness Center!"

Well my crew just went crazy! They cheered so loud, and I couldn't believe it! What a nice surprise! I was not expecting this at all and it was so great to share with the rest of the kids and their families. I walked this big banner that was presented to me and Lisa was sitting there with this big smile on her face.

The third point, is my friend Robert who trains with me with sparring and really helped me get the heck out of the house to workout when I was struggling, also competed for the first time. His form was magnificent! But he also steped up his gamne with the support of the kids, and really made his presence known. But even greater than that was he coached me for sparring. He was a really great coach. he knew what he was talking about, he made me feel comfortable, and I was so proud of him.

And now the fourth point. How did I do in my competition? Well, I was very nervous. It is my first competition in four years and my first one without my former instructor. No one really understood what a big deal it was for me. No one knew that was a very big thing going on in my mind for my own competition. First time without him. It was a very big deal for me. Also, the fact that I have nto sparred for competition for so long I was afraid of either holding back or being sloppy.

But like I said in my blog post about sparring again, I went in there with the mentality of just having fun, enjoying myself, and to not worry about winning. That time is over for me. And truth is, I did have a LOT of fun. I watched a 6th Degree Black Beltr perform three different forms and was in awe of the technique and energy of his forms, I also watched him and another Black Belt perform these weapon forms which I thought was marvelous, and I watched some pretty cool breaking. As I continued to watch, I had more and more fun. I also did my form whcih is the first time I have ever performed it in public. I got silver, the 6th Degree SO deserved the gold!

Then it came down to sparring. I got onto the mats. Deep Breath. All I kept thinking was "Why the hell am I doing this?" I know I am not up to par, and this is adult division, 18-35! What's the matter with me? Oh, right. Because I am afraid of what I think I CAN'T do, so I have to DO IT! Holding myself accountable. Well when I got there for the first match, I won 6-2. The kids were thrilled and my thought was "I did it without him." I was very happy, a little winded, not like I used to but that's okay. But another thought came to mind. I think I would be actually disappointed if I won this competition, knowing what I would have been able to do in the past, and getting through a competition easily. I really wanted to be challenged!

Well when you think it, you bring it. My next match, I sparred an extremely fast and strong competitor, and when I felt one kick to my stomach, I smiled: YES. I think even Robert saw my smile. He knew this is what I was looking for. And before I knew it, I was kicked very hard in the neck and dropped to the floor. They stopped the match, afraid I hurt my spine or that I was knocked out. But I was smiling and saying "THAT was a great kick!" They would not let me continue the match, but I got up smiling. The underlying symbolism meant more to me than anything else, and I only think Robert and Lisa caught on: I have gotten knocked down many times in my life, some by hard hits. But I always get back up smiling. Couldn't have had such a better moment than that. And I am glad my kids got to see it, even if they don't realize the symbolism it had for me.

A phenomenal ending to a VERY long day! Merissa Pico, who I wrote about yesterday, was also there at the competition. It was such a coincidence that I was just talking about her and I got to see her today. Watching her spar today was also motivating for me. It really was  agreat day. I am proud of myself, and I am proud of my kids. This does not promote my business, this promotes my kids, and they deserve it!

My final thoughts are these: When I began training again a few years ago after my short absence, I remember the terribel feeling of "Oh no, did I really do this to myself?" and feeling terrible how I thought I could never do what I did before ever again. But I did! When it comes to sparring, I could very well feel this way again. "Oh no, I'm not the way I used to be because of this long term break, boo hoo." But I don't have that feeling or thoughts of those kind at all. I am actually excited, knowing that I am on the right track to getting not only back to the old sparrer I used to be, but even greater. And this time, it'll be done right!

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment