Friday, July 13, 2012

The 2nd Anniversary!

When I was eight years old, I had two goals and I had this overcoming, knowing feeling that no matter would ever happen in my life, I KNEW I would succeed in making these dreams become a reality. Those two dreams were to become a 4th Degree Master, and the other to have my own martial arts school.

I thought Id be much older when I opened my own school, but we must never question the flow of the universe and how things are supposed to happen. After ten years, my old master and I went our separate ways and I was devastated by it. I was living on my own, I had no where else to go, and many students left the old school to see what my next move would be. Two of my friends told me at that time that I "was in a wave so I better ride it."

At the age of nineteen, I began my own business and for sixteen months taught out of garages, basements, and backyards until I finally found two store fronts in a small town called Rochelle Park in New Jersey. I tore down the wall that separated them and made one big studio. Low and behold on June 5, 2010 I officially opened the doors to Trento's Martial Arts and Fitness Center (TMAFC). I had a lot of opposition. Family members telling me I shouldn't do it, "friends" and acquaintances saying I couldn't do it, and I am sure the old master thought I'd never do it.

I'll quote my mentor, Professor Sargese. she says "Never tell me what I can't do, because then I'll just do it out of spite!" Well that's how I work. Never tell me something I can't do. Because making the impossible possible is kinda my thing ;). I celebrated my one year anniversary bash June 5, 2011 and we had a big martial arts class, kickboxing, Zumba, chiropractic massages, vendors, and a lot of food! Well this past June, I celebrated my second year and we had a blast!

I began the day with an early morning cardio kickboxing class with my "ladies" and had a nice breakfast gathering that followed. I am blessed to have such wonderful ladies in my fitness classes. They make new ones feel comfortable when joining, there is none of that intimidation factor like you get at a gym, we have a lot of fun but work hard too, and they are all very encouraging to new members, and myself included.
Then the martial artists came. It brings tears to my eyes thinking of all these kids who come to TMAFC. When I was teaching in Robert's basement, I remember how I used to TALK abot how cool it would be to have little people in uniform that I could call my OWN students. And here I was with a large classroom filled of little warriors who were just thrilled to be a part of this magnificent journey. And my most of my Black Belts who were there from day one in the backyard days were there to share this moment with me too.
We also had our demo team perform that is run by Frankie Peracchio, and then the food came out. We played games and took pictures, but one thing I did at the first anniversary that I did for the second as well was had a yearbook made up for the kids to look at all the pictures of the things we did over the year and sign each others books. It always amazes me how much they get INTO the book. One little student of Min who is five years old (who I don't think can write yet) was so cute walking up to EVERY student and just demanded "Sign my book!" It was the cutest thing.

As I reflect over my second year I really am azed. I don't look back enough at what I have done and how I have grown from the first year. Student size has increased, I still have my Black Belts who are closer than family, I had Owen Hagmaier get his Black belt and was my first junior 1st Degree Back Belt, Kristn Barrett and Samantha Volk both got their 2nd Dans this year, we competed at tournaments and most qualified for nationals in Florida, I was testing for 4th Degree and worked with allmy mentors this year, I really am so proud.

I cannot help but get emotional when I think of what it took to get here, and what I am actually doing. People always say to find something you love to do and go for it. But so many don't. I am absolutely blessed to be doing every day the very thing that makes me whole. Martial arts and I fell in love at first sight years ago. And there was nothing that would ever tear us apart! To have my own students who love what they are doing just as much, that take it just as seriously, who are making those same friends for life the way I did with the Friars and my Black Belts, it brings a great joy to my heart that I cannot express in words.

The people who were in attendance, and a small few who wouldn't make it, know exactly how important this school is to me because it's as important to them as well. What a phenomenal feeling to have so many people behind you and BELIEVE in what this place is all about. TMAFC has been more than a martial arts center for people. It has become a home base for everyone who walks into its doors as a safe haven where you are loved and protected, a place to share personal triumph and goals, a place who all are welcome (even the old master and his students), and a palce where you find your personal best and then the ability to surpass all the odds, the same odds TMAFC overcame to open. Happy anniversary to TMAFC and a thank you to all my students (fitness and martial arts) who believe in what it's all about!
Me teaching my parents the white belt kicking combination. I even made them call me SIR! LOL
Yours in service,
A TRENTO



1 comment:

  1. LOVE THIS, especially the last picture Master Andrew! Kudos to you my friend and everlasting success in all of your endeavors. You are Master and Creator of your life. Go for it all. Blessings and Light always, with love, Maria.

    ReplyDelete