Thursday, July 26, 2012

Gay Pride

Last month, Kristin and I went to New York City for the Gay pride parade. One of my best friends is gay, I had an uncle who was gay, I know of a lot of people from school who are gay, and you know what? That's exactly what they are-- people!

I have never gone to the gay pride parade in the city before, but Kristin told me it is a lot of fun and the people in general who go to this event are awesome. Not because they are gay, because they are how people should be. Nonjudgmental, tolerant, and accepting. And she was right. When you go to the gay pride, it really isn't about sexual orientation. It is about being completely accepted for who you are and living your life in happiness.

A lot of close-minded people say "They can live their life in happiness! They don't have to make a big hooplah to do that!" But they're wrong because there are so many ignorant people out in the world who go out of their way to make gay people's lives miserable and unhappy. It just doesn't make sense to me. There are more and more teenagers committing suicide because of the bullying, adults afraid of being disowned from their families, and people who live in fear of being rejected from jobs and opportunities just because of their sexual orientation.

I know of a many gay people who go through self-sabotage and extreme anxieties because they are told they are bad people for who they are. That they are  wrong for their decisions in life. Some say they're going against God. This is where I get offended. Yes, I am a Christian, but even as a Christian, I totally disagree with those Christians who snub and turn their backs and look at gays as if they are bad people. That is NOT what MY God is about! "Love one another as I have loved you." That is His greatest commandment. LOVE!

In all of the self-help research I have done, all the positive thinking I have done, all the spiritual work I have done, they all say that the greatest power on this planet is the power of LOVE. The highest frequency of living is based on LOVE. And at the end of the day, Love is LOVE. Whether you are straight or gay, the more love brought into this world, the better!

 Years ago, I remember watching a documentary in Professor Sargese's class on Rosie O'Donnell's gay cruise line. The gay cruise went to the Bahamas and as they arrived, protesters lined up on the shores holding up signs telling the gays they were going to hell, signs that read "Faggots" and "Sissys" and proclaiming how this is not what Jesus wanted, etc. Hold up! These are hateful actions? This is not Christian! MY God is not a hateful God! My God is a LOVING God! GOD wants love in the world! I was appalled by that when I watched that part of the documentary.

But I think the part that always left a mark on my heart when I watched it was these two gay men who adopted a young boy. They found out that the young boy had like four other siblings and they were all separated at a young age. The two men paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to FIND the siblings, bring them all together, and adopt them all. If that is not love, I don't know what is!



I love how the hypocrits say "Well they can be proud but they don't have to flaunt it and have a parade over it!" Oh? Then don't have parades for Fourth of July, and no more Irish parades for St. Patrick's Day, and the hell with Cinco De Mayo Parades too. Just don't express how proud you are in any way. Does that really make sense? How about, be proud of being an American but don't put an American flag out, that's not necessary then. C'mon! How ridiculous is that!

Unfortunately, there is a lot of stereotypes, hate crimes, and discrimination toward gays just as there are with different races, skin color, and cultures. Just because it's different from what YOU may be familiar to, doesn't mean it's wrong! There is NOTHING wrong with LOVE! And I despise anyone who puts down any form of love.

At the parade, everyone was having a good time. A lot of laughing, a lot of dancing, a lot of fun, and you could feel in the air how comfortable everyone felt. People need to learn to be tolerant. Even if you don't agree, and you don't have to agree, but accept. Accept and RESPECT. Bottom line, and I teach this in martial arts, respect comes in different forms. If everyone just learned the simple lesson of respect and accepted people's beliefs, behavior, and opinions, we would solve so many problems in the world. We allow ego to get the best of us and people need to get over themselves.

You don't have to be gay to go to gay pride parade. I'm not gay, and I had a fantastic time! I was very happy to have gone to this parade. People were just so happy, as they should be. And no one should ever go out of their way to make people NOT happy. THAT I am against.

I don't understand why politics have to play a part in people's sexual orientation as well. If two people love each other they should get married--PERIOD. I think civil unions are an insult, even though it's just as good in some gay people's opinions. The "moral dilemma" should not be a political issue. A lot of Christian's are against gay marriage. Well guess what, not everyone is Christian and I don't see how gay marriage can interfere with people's everyday lives in any negative way. And shame on people who think it can. Marriage is about love, not gender.

To all of he gay community, do not allow anyone make you out to be bad for who you are, condemn you for your love, or to make your life miserable in any way, shape, and form. There is nothing wrong with you and God bless you for continuing to bring more love into this world. I will always accept, respect, and unconditionally love you. Continue to be proud!

Yours in service,
MASTER TRENTO


No comments:

Post a Comment