Friday, July 27, 2012

Nationals


The first week of July, we traveled to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida for the AAU Taekwondo National Championships. This was the first time my school, my students, and myself have ever competed at this tournament for the AAU on a national level. In order to go to the national tournament, you have to qualify by placing in the top eight of your division at a state qualifying tournament. The group who went to the nationals here all qualified at our first AAU tournament in February when we went the New York AAU States that were held in Troy, NY.

The AAU Taekwondo organization has an excellent Taekwondo program to follow and I am happy that TMAFC is a part of the AAU. AAU have always taken care of me. When I left my old master, I needed to get my Black Belt certified on some level because my old master wasnt affiliated with any major organization, he wasn't a certified Black Belt through any federation, and I was opening up a school and needed particular qualifications at such a young age. I was also over due to test for 3rd Degree Black Belt at the time.

I came across online to the AAU Taekwondo and I was happy to see that the organization recognized both traditional AND Olympic styles of Taekwondo. As a new school owner, I loved it for the purpose of exposing my students to all styles, making them better martial artists, there were very organized tournaments and events for my students and myself, and they got me certified on the national level AND internationally certified by the Kukkiwon from Korea, the highest honor you can receive in Taekwondo.

While on the mission years ago, I met Master Balon who tested me for my 3rd Degree Black Belt and only last month three years later gave me my master test for 4th Degree Black belt. He also ran the New Jersey AAU State tournament which many other students of mine qualified for nationals. Robert has become a certified coach and my students are AAU members, and my Black Belts are all AAU certified and have their Kukkiwon.

I've done national tournaments before when I was young, between the ages of 13-16. I competed at the Junior Olympics in Atlanta, Georgia and in San Antonio, Texas, and even placed Bronze.  It's been seven years. I was competing this year solely for fun, my main focus this year was my 4th Degree test. However, for my students, this is what they've worked for all year! Robert, Sam, William, Owen, and myself all competed.


The tournament was impeccably organized. I was so impressed. it was run so well, so smoothly, and so by the book, it was one of the best tournaments I've been to. The competition was great too. I was very pleased with my students and very happy with their sportsmanship as well. We came home with two silvers and two bronze.


I'm glad they get this experience, and my goals was to get my students the feel of what competitions are like. The AAU provides great things for upcoming Taekwondo students and my students meet other students, create friendships, and better their training. I am so proud of them, and they should be proud too. We have new goals and new ideas for next year and will yet again find newer ways to get more involved. Excellent year guys!

Yours in service,
MASTER TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment