Wednesday, May 21, 2014

A Legend Retires

Since I was very young, I would study great pioneers in our history and culture. Most people who know me know that I love the study greats such as Benjamin Franklin, Ronald Reagan, P.L Travers, Celine Dion, Michael Jackson, Lucille Ball, and Walt Disney, to name a few. Not just follow their work, but really study the lives and work ethic of these people. One of those people is Barbara Walters. I always knew who she was, but just never realized when I was real young, exactly who this person was.

I remember seeing a few episodes of The View on television, I remember her interviewing Michael J. Fox when I was in the fourth grade when he was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease, I remember watching her interview that same year interview Christopher Reeves after his horseback accident, and when I was on vacation in Massachusetts my family and I watched her interview with Monica Lewinsky, which is up to today the MOST famous interview in journalism HISTORY.

In my freshman year I was put into a Journalism class, and became a very serious and talented journalist. But the true inspiration was after watching a video of A&E's Biography on Barbara Walters. How I identified with her work ethic, and the nerve she had to ask questions and do things that NO ONE ever had done before, and of course being a woman pioneer as well. Since then I watched EVERY single Barbara Walters interview and special, I even recorded many of them, and watched them continuously.

I am a trained counselor, and in my style of counseling, I use the form of questioning just like Barbara Walters. She was also known as doing tremendous and thorough amount of homework and research, which I identify with in my own work, especially in my  martial arts training. There is no doubt that in the business, Barbara Walters is THE BEST.
The above video shows Barbara Walters on her show that she created, The View which she announced that she would be retiring from appearing on television at all. The week of May 12-16 was her final week on television. I have been watching her for so many years, I cannot believe she will no longer be on ABC. She had great friends like Martin Short, Bette Midler, Michael Douglas, and Hillary Clinton all came to honor this pioneer.

Thursday, May 15, for the first time in television history, every single co-host from The View was on the show together. The show originated 17 years, most talk shows today are just re-creations of The View itself. The show originated with Joy Behar, Lisa Ling, Meredith Vierra, Star Jones, and Debbie Matenopolous. After several years other co-hosts joined the View such as Elizabeth Hasselback, Rosie O'Donnell, Sherri Sherpherd, Whoopie Goldberg, and recently Jenny McCarthy. Barbara looked like Jesus at the last supper, as noted by Joy Behar.

To see all of the co-hosts on at the same time was very cool for me. I love huge reunions, and these women have such great history with the show but we the audience have NEVER seen them all together. The how itself has had plenty of controversy and conflict, but none of that ever tainted her relationships with the ladies and it was such a treat and beautiful event to see them ALL together for the end of Barbara's career.
ALL eleven co-hosts EVER together on The View for the first time in television history on May 15, 2014: Whoopie Goldberg, Meredith Vierra, Star Jones, Debbie Matenopolous, Joy Behar, Barbara Walters, Lisa Ling, Elizabeth Hasselback, Rosie O'Donnell, Jenny McCarthy, and Sherri Shepherd.
One the final day, May 16, 2014, Hillary Clinton and Michael Douglas were on the show. There was also a clip from the special that was played that night about Barbara's career which I think I knew every single detail of the special. But one of my favorite moments, and I just KNEW this would happen on the last day, was when Oprah Winfrey surprised Barbara by coming onto the show.

I LOVE stories when people are inspired by certain role models and end up actually meeting and working with their idols and even receiving mentor ship by them. Just like Carol Burnett and Lucille Ball, Kelly Clarkson and Reba, Nicole Kidman and Meryl Streep, Celine Dion and Barbara Streisand, Usher and Michael Jackson, etc. Well the story of Oprah and Barbara Walters is one of my favorites as well as I tell it very often.

Oprah wanted to be on television because of Barbara Walters. When asked at 13 years old for a contest who she wanted to be like, Oprah's answer was "Barbara Walters." When Oprah first interviewed for jobs, she would imitate Barbara Walters for all of her interviews for several years before finally being herself. SHe ended being interviewed by her idol on day, and she even presented the Television Lifetime Achievement award to her own mentor. When Barbara Walters stepped down as anchor of 20/20 after 25 years, it was Oprah who got the interview with Barbara. So it only seemed fitting that Oprah would be there for the sending off of her career as well.
"If there wasn't a Barbara Walters, there would never have been a me in television."-Oprah Winfrey, 2006; Oprah on The View for Barbara's last day.
Oprah told Barbara how she meant the world to her and thanked her for the the pioneer she was. She also thanked her for paving the way for women in television history in journalism. And then, one of the most touching things in television history. Oprah introduced every single major woman anchor of a network news program one by one. Everyone from Diane Sawyer, Robin Roberts, Kathy Lee Gifford, Elizabeth Vargas, Katie Couric, Gayle King, Connie Chung, There must have been over 20 of these women who came out and lined up to hug and thank the journalism legend.

What a fantastic moment! "We all stand on your shoulders, Barbara Walters," said Oprah. One of the women you could hear saying to Barbara, "You paved the way for us. You are one of a kind." Barbara with tears in her eyes said "This is my legacy!"

Barbara Walters taught me how to ask the right questions, for the answer is not important unless you ask the right question. She taught me how to get to the core issue. She taught me to be proud of your work and share it, as she always plugged her specials and interviews. Why work hard if you don't share it with everybody!? And she taught me to work hard and to persevere even when you feel like you're failing. 

Of course I cried watching this. I have known her story and related much to it. I felt her story, I understood her work ethic, and I was sentimental myself because of what this woman has meant to me. I followed her most of my life, as I have been influenced by her very much in my career in business and teaching as well. I remember the times of my life when watching her. I know some people love singers and movie stars, but for me, Barbara Walters was my movie star. And I thank Barbara for all she has done and what she has done for me. And I look forward to expressing that when we meet. (BOWS)

Yours in service,
MASTER A TRENTO



No comments:

Post a Comment