Thursday, May 22, 2014

Dr. Nina Harkhani

Dr. Nina Harkhani, M.D, 1st Dan Black Belt, Friar of Old
Nina Harkhani has been one of my closest friends for fourteen years. When I was a red belt, I taught a group of white belts who ended up becoming some of my closest friends for life. Nina was one of them. It was the year 2000. I was already doing martial arts training for two years. It was the time I began volunteering much of my time to my master's dojang and learned how to teach besides put in extra hours of training in.

A year later the school began the very first and brand new Leadership Team, and a group of five of us became so close and tight and my corny self dubbed us the name The Friars, because we were members of something we went to religiously. We were all from different towns but sharing an experience together that only we understood. I spent more time with these individuals than with anyone else for five long years. Every single day for hours at a time.

In 2005, the Friars went their separate ways. A couple times a year we would have get together and such. Nina went to George Washington University in Washington D.C for four years and Nina and I every week would talk on the phone and email almost every other day. Every time we hung up, I would have tears in my eyes because I would miss her so much. When she graduated, she came back to New Jersey and began her four years of medical school. Even though she was closer, the time she spent studying and working her rotations were grueling. But she did oh so well.

Monday, I went with her, her boyfriend, and her parents to Newark for her medical school graduation. As everyone else who was there, I was so proud. I still AM proud of her. We went through very difficult times together, we had our share of fights, she had our share of laughs, we had our share of crying. We knew every which thing going on in our lives, and other than my best friend, the Friars were the ones I would talk to and share the most with. My time starting my business, and her's entering medical school. My journey to becoming a master and hers becoming a doctor.

Everything we said we would do, we did. We supported each other emotionally, and we believed in each other always. The only thing I curse medical school with was even though she geographically was nearer, the time spent even in emails became so limited. She will be doing her five years of residency in Baltimore, Maryland, and once again, geographically will be away. It makes me sad, but it makes me so happy as well. She did it. She is a doctor. She is making it happen, and she knows I am her biggest fan.

Besides being an absolutely brilliant mind, she is very down to earth, very genuine, and very forward. All qualities I respect and love. She does not bullsh*t with you and tells you how it is. She's never afraid of speaking her mind, right or wrong, never afraid to put herself in a situation that is uncomfortable or fearsome, because she knows the experience will bring her to where she needs to be and grow. We had a beautiful conversation that most of that came from her martial arts training. Some of my students came from my old school but none of them trained directly under my original master like Nina and I. It's nice to have someone share and understand those origins of experience.

Nina, congratulations to you. You deserve every accolade. You will be a success no matter what, and your direction is so clear. May your spirit soar in this next chapter of your life, and thank you for allowing me to experience this wonderful event, as well as as the long lasting friendship we share together, no strings attached. I bow to YOU Doctor! (BOWS)

Yours in service,
MASTER A TRENTO

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this post. She is about to become my dr and I couldn't find anything about her online. I take this as a 10 star rating! Merci.

    ReplyDelete