Monday, July 11, 2011

The Goals!

I was taught in the martial arts to Begin with the End in mind. Well I agree that the goal is more important than the role. I mean, purpose is the WHY behind everything we do anyway, isn't it? Well my purpose is to become a martial arts master. And that's not just a title, it is a way of life. So I have SEVERAL goals on a physical, mental, spiritual, and financial level that I am going to pursue during this year.

I have taken a total of seven Black Belt tests, and I am extremely proud of them. Most of them were tests unlike any other martial arts school, and I am proud of the sweat, blood, and tears that I went through. The transformations I went through, the lessons learned, and the challenges I had to endure were absolutely breath taking. I was ding things physically that I never thought were possible nor would I ever be able to do them! Well proving the impossible then became my mission as a Black Belt.

This year I am going to bring myself to a whole new level physically. When I was 20 years old, I was 179 pounds. Then the year that followed I began eating on this extremely disciplined healthy diet that consisted of fruits, veggies, limited protein, limited carbs, no hot dogs or bagels, no sweets, etc, and I trained 4 hours a day of well balanced martial arts, cardio, and strength training. For my 21st birthday I was 135 pounds. I lost 45 pounds, but was HEALTHY. I had muscle, never got sick, was tone. It was probably the first time I ever liked my body. So physically I am going to be sure I can continue that healthy discipline of eating right, well balanced workouts, and in those workouts be able to challenge my body the way I used to, the way a true Black belt would and could!

In fact, I was even thinking of re-enacting the tests I went through growing up. Think about it. If I could do all the challenges I did as a 1st degree and 2nd degree Black belt, and then make everything even MORE challenging from there, WOOOOOO I'd be in really good shape. My original Black Belt test was six days long. So was my 2nd Degree test. My 4th will not be, because where I will be going is a very standard test, like my 3rd was. I do not have a master of my own anymore, so I go by the guidelines of the best in this field. I'll explain at a later time.

BUT! This was a really cool idea I had. One month before my test, I am going to have MY adult Black Belt students from my school do a "mock" 4th Degree Black Belt test that will be six days long, like my original ones. My students can see me put everything I do into action and see how I can apply what I teach them and see my struggles as well, to know I am still a student constantly learning as well. Another way of holding myself accountable. Kind of a theme here. But who better to give me a Black Belt test like that then my OWN Black Belts I have taught in my school? This will be in May 2012.

I used to compete in Taekwondo competitions. As a younger student, I always enjoyed going to tournaments and meeting new people and doing my thing. I have won several trophies and medals, but honestly, they are just dust collectors. Truth is, I hate competition. I have learned from the mentality that to have competition is a mindset that "there is not enough" in the universe, or the notion of something or someone being "the best." But I think there's a lot more gold in being "your best" then "the best." Don't you agree? Thought provoking!

However, I am now going into my second year in business. And I have kids who are eager to learn and test their skills. An instructor's dream is to have students as eager as these are. So this fall I will be starting a competition team for my school. It will help get the name of my business out in the martial arts community, etc. During the process of making the team and selecting students, a thought popped into my head: What if I started to spar again? I know that thought along, several people who knew me back when are like WOOOOAAAAHH! Me back on the competition plane would be a really cool thing. I enjoyed it, and expect a certain level of skill to be able to perform as a master should. So again, holding myself accountable. Let's do it. I am going to compete again this year.

During my time as a 2nd Degree Black Belt, my training took a completely new turn on the mental side of training. Mental conditioning dealt with great understanding and practicing of self-esteem, psychology, positive thinking, motivation, things of that nature. I had always put aside an hour and a half a day for reading some positive literature or audio tape. Eventually my mind became conditioned and I even organized it into a curriculum type of setting. I want to not only build up and continue this type of mental training and get on a deeper level of energy and apply it in different avenues of my training and in my life. Recently I was introduced to Qi Gong Mediation and Yoga. VERY cool stuff. I want to write my own book and publish it, something I have been doing since I was 16. I think it's time to really make it happen now. Almost like my "Master's Thesis," if you will.

I have two other projects I am going to be working on. I will explain at a later time in more detail but they both involve video production. Both can lead to some great opportunities for myself and others. And finally I want to go back to school. I want to finish college. It took time but now I know what I want to do. I want to go back in January and get my degree in Psychology and then move onto my masters degree in something similar, perhaps counseling or something else.

So besides a few little projects, you think I put enough on my plate here? Yes, I know it is a lot. But these are things I have always wanted to do, and no reason why I cannot do them. So as a master, I will be accomplishing these goals one at a time, or at least have them in forward motion. But we all know we never do anything alone....I'll fill you in next time.

Yours in service,
A TRENTO

3 comments:

  1. You said, "Yes, I know it is a lot. But these are things I have always wanted to do, and no reason why I cannot do them."

    Well, what the hell else would you do with your time if you weren't doing all these things?? Do these things. Hit the pillow at night saying "I'm glad I did" rather than "I wish I had/"

    Sparring?
    Too good to be true ;-)

    "Qi Gong Mediation"
    I can't believe neither Maria, you, nor I have blogged about that. I'm not even sure I can.

    "I want to go back in January and get my degree in Psychology and then move onto my masters degree in something similar, perhaps counseling or something else."

    Yesssssssssss!!!!

    This post wasn't even as long winded as I expected. Can't wait for more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes me feel better because I thought it was too long and people wouldn't want to hear me go on forever, LOL. Thank you so much! Also, I am going to blog about the Qi Gong soon. Setting everything up for that! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. " I want to write my own book and publish it, something I have been doing since I was 16." - Tippy of us.

    ReplyDelete