Friday, July 29, 2011

Lisa's Life Lesson on Broken Agreements

This week was very hectic for me, but life's challenges are part of my fourth degree Black Belt training after all. That's what this entire year is about. And the true test to being a master is not how I perform physically but how I perform at LIFE! Social pressures, business pressures, and of course family pressures can make life very overwhelming. We buried my Uncle Johny today and it was very sad, but we truly celebrated his life today. And I know having all of his family there for him would have been a huge highlight for him.

It's with times like these that I look to my mentors for continuous inspiration to pull myself through to achieving my goals. I have chosen my mentors very carefully and each adds a bright light for me to learn something on my journey to masterhood, even during times like these.

My mentor Lisa Sargese had knee surgery on Tuesday and I went to go see her on Thursday. She really looked great and was in good spirits. When I went, I helped decorate her room which she decided to make "Zen themed." She had the Asian lanterns and I brought my fake bonsai tree and she had a little dragon named Pedro, and when you walked into her room you felt the wonderful energy from her ambiance! What I love about Lisa is that she always looking for a way to move forward in life. And she does not close off any opportunities to do so, whether it be spiritually or physically. She has had both of her knees done now, and she is loving her two brand new knees. She is working with a master nutritionist who is helping her in some incredible ways, she even cured herself of anemia through his work! But she is also practicing Qi Gong and learning to listen to spirit. Some of the things her spirit tells her are so thought provoking!

It is inspiring to see her move forward and build up such great energy! As I sat in her hospital room we had a few nice discussions, but one of the topics we discussed was about how we are people who hold ourselves accountable. In a way, we can all be a little bipolar. One minute we are on such a high, and then something happens and we drop down to an all time low. Your average Joe will be on a high and become extremely motivated and make all these plans, but when they hit their low, they never go back and meet with the agreements they made to themselves.

People like Lisa and I are different. When we get on that high and make plans and goals, when we reach those lows, we are still connected to the goals and will not stop until they are achieved and we get very hard on ourselves when we do not meet our own expectations. I have learned over the years that it's damaging enough to have broken agreements with other people, saying you'll do something and then NEVER do them. There is no closure and the energy is still alive and being wasted. Until you either re-negotiate the agreement, fulfill the agreement, or MAKE THE DECISION not to fulfill the agreement, your energy will be drawn from you. Understand, you have to MAKE the decision, not just NOT do it, because the energy still lingers. Understand that energy is a very real thing.

But what erodes your self-esteem and damages your SELF even more is when you make a broken agreement with yourself! You make goals and plans, and when you hit a low, you never revisit it, and continue that cycle, sooooooooooooooo much energy is being wasted and misused. I believe that is why so many people get "stuck" in their lives. It makes me think. I have always known this, and being a person who holds myself accountable, I always look for closure in a situation. But I am sure there are many small circumstances that I may overlook, and only until I channel the energy elsewhere will I get true clarity!

My advice on the topic is this: take a mental inventory of your self and look at all the broken agreements you may have in your life, whether it be with other people or yourself. Then take the time to either renegotiate and change the agreement to fulfill it, fulfill the agreement as is, or make the decision to not fulfill it. Write them down! Speak into a voice recorder! However you want to do it, figure it out. And then watch how much clarity you gain, and how much more relax you become. It will be an amazing experience for you!

Yours in service,
A TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment