Saturday, July 30, 2011

To Continue to Move Forward

 (Master Kevin Balon and me after my 3rd Degree Black Belt test, June 27, 2009)

Today I walked in the park. I don't know why. I never do. But today spirit told me to walk in the park. It was an absolutely beautiful day and I really took in the appreciation of all the little things I think so many people overlook. I saw two groundhogs and they were sooooo close to me, eating the grass. I saw a mother duck with her 5 ducklings following her. I the sun gleam in between the leaves of the tree. We should never let overlook the beauty of nature around us. And I walked most of the time with my ipod in my ears listening to nothing other than The Edge of Glory! Then I had a wonderful evening with one of my best friends and my God-dogger (yes, it's exactly what it sounds like!).

I want to be a master that never overlooks the small things, and takes in all that is present in the here and now. Appreciating the small things like the groundhogs and ducklings in the park today only allows me to appreciate the even greater things tenfold! Well as I train for my 4th Degree Black Belt test, I have a little story about another one of my mentors.

One of my mentors is Master Kevin Balon. He is the New Jersey District Director for the AAU Taekwondo Program and tested m for my 3rd Degree Black Belt and will be the one to test me for my 4th. I have expressed in another post my feelings about Black Belts and other masters I know, and the notion that Master Toledo brought to my attention. Master Toledo was only a 3rd Degree Black Belt but I always called him master out of respect for his knowledge and way of life as a Black Belt, especially with all the time he has and continues to put into the arts. But his feeling was after Black Belt, why go on? You know you are a Black Belt in your mind and heart, what do you need degrees for? He only went to 3rd to hold certain positions in his organization.

I highly respected this man for that notion. My dream was always to become a master and officially (in Taekwondo) it is usually at the 4th Degree Black Belt one can be eligible for master instructor certification. But each degree represented something to me that I hold dear to my heart. I would continue to train and test up the ranks, not to prove anything, but to see what new lesson will I hold close to my heart that has great meaning in my life at that time.

Well Master Balon tested two weeks ago for his 7th Degree Black Belt! I am in absolute awe! Master Balon runs a phenomenal school down in Spotswood, NJ and is an extremely active facilitator in the AAU Taekwondo program. For someone like myself who loves the martial arts and all it has to offer, it is inspiring to me to see someone reach the rank of 7th Degree! A rank I one day hope to hold myself, again for the reasons I just explained.

I can only imagine what it means for Master Balon. The time he puts it his training, his teachings, in the depth of his knowledge of Taekwondo, and just in general the many years he put into Taekwondo of his life, 7th Degree is a huge honor. It must represent such great importance to him, and not many people make it to this rank. One of the things I found most impressive, that a true master who keeps up with his training can perform, was breaking 7 boards! I had a master who did not keep up with his training and could barely perform what he used to. So again, it is even more inspiring and intriguing for me to see someone like Master Balon continue to move forward in his training and perform physically and mentally at such an elite level!

(Master Kevin Balon breaking 7 boards for his 7th Degree Black Belt test)

To continue to educate oneself and share what you learn is great mark as a master. Master Balon shows the essence of hard work paying off, and you can see how moving forward in his training, he moves forward in his life. It inspires me to continue to move forward in my training, and pushing myself to new extremes and new heights, which will help lead me to new levels in my life. And I will show him exactly how much 4th Degree will mean to me when I test at his school in eleven months! Congratulations Master Balon on your 7th Degree Black Belt! (BOWS)

Yours in service,
A TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment