Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Title of Sahbumnim

So I was talking to a former student of mine the other night online and we got into an interesting conversation about what people would call me WHEN I become a master. In Taekwondo, and several other martial arts, out of respect you typically call the male instructors "Sir" or the female instructors "ma'am." And depending on what type of art (Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Brazilian, etc.), there are different terms for what to call the instructors.

But the title for master varies. Many people know the word "Sensei," which is the Japanese word for master, used in Judo, Karate, Jiu Jitsu, Kendo, etc. In the Chinese arts of kung fu, the word for master is "Sifu." I had recently met a true Sifu in the flesh! I will talk about him very soon. I study Korean arts like Taekwondo, Hapkido, and Tang Soo Do. The Korean term for master which would be appropriate for me is "Sahbumnim."

For ten years I had used that name.
"Yes, Sahbumnim!"
"No, Sahbumnim!"
"Ready, Sahbumnim!"
"I'm doing my best, Sahbumnim!"

Whenever I hear the word Sahbumnim, I envision my old instructor. I don't know if I could ever allow my students to call me that. I would always think of him. And when I do think of him, it is not always in a good light. It depends on the day.

Right now, my students call me Mr. Trento. I have been Mr. Trento officially for ten years. It's a name that is very known in my area, teaching for eleven years. My attorney told me one of the best business decisions I made was putting my name in my business name (Trento's Martial Arts and Fitness Center). Even my closest friends call me Trento. And most of the time when I introduce myself, I say "My name is Trento."

So working so hard to getting to this level, it is going to be an honor to earn that title, but do I really want to be called Sahbumnim Trento? Will Master Trento suffice? Am I allowing negative experiences from my old master to take away from me the privilege of that title? But he taught me something else about titles when I was 12 years old.

He told me "A title will only buy you a little time--nothing more, nothing less." Ultimately, anyone can have a title. Ultimately, your actions, choices, behaviors, and services will truly define whether you truly are that title. How many managers do we know of in the work place that aren't really managers. How many people do we know who are teachers, and aren't really teachers? How many coaches do we know and aren't really coaches?

OR VICE VERSA! How many people do we know are the greatest teachers ever yet are not known as teachers? How many people do we know are the best coaches, but aren't called coach? How many people do we call our managers, but are not managers in that work place but run the show? And you know what, I know people who are not masters, but I call them masters.

A long time ago, I had an instructor named Julius Toledo, he was from the Philippines. I considered him to be the Mr. Miyagi of Taekwondo! He has been training in Taekwondo for 40 years, but was only a 3rd Degree Black Belt. I asked him why he never tested again, and he said something to me I will never forget.

He explained after Black Belt, he would have never tested again. What's the point? He knew he was a Black Belt in his every day life, why would he need degrees? He only tested up to 3rd Degree Black Belt to hold certain positions in the Taekwondo organization in his country, otherwise, he never believed in testing further. I really respected him for that.

In Taekwondo, you are considered Master Instructor at 4th Degree. Mr. Toledo is a 3rd Degree. But I will always call him Master Toledo, because only a man at that caliber to live with such humility and integrity can TRULY be a master of martial arts!

In the orginal The Karate Kid movie, Daniel LaRusso asks Mr. Miyagi what belt he has, and Mr. Miyagi says "J.C Penny, $3.99!" with a jovial laugh. Then he gets serious and says "Daniel San, Karate is here (pointing to his head), and Karate is here (pointing to his heart), but Karate never is what is here (pointing to his waist)."

Same goes for Black Belt. Same goes for Master. Many people believe I should be called Master Trento when the times comes, and I agree. But maybe my view on the term Sahbumnim will change. You never know. But the truth is, my actions, choices, behaviors, and services will truly render me that title, not a piece of paper. And it starts NOW. That is why I am doing what I am doing, and this blog will keep me on my toes. What do YOU think? I am open to everyone's thoughts.

Yours in service,
A TRENTO

3 comments:

  1. I have a lot to say about this. Not sure how, when or where I'll be saying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reasons why Andrew should be called Master:

    On Day one of his blog he says

    - “However, I don't want to be your regular
    4th Degree Master.
    I have high expectation and standards
    for myself to truly earn that title.
    Mr. Trento will become Master Trento”

    Nice. I could really do a “nuff said” with that one, but I’ll continue...

    On Day Two of his blog he says:
    - “Well my purpose is to become
    a martial arts master.
    And that's not just a title,
    it is a way of life.”

    As a matter of fact, if I had a dollar for every time Andrew used the term “master” in the first two days of his blog I could pay for a luxury suite on the next Disney Cruise.

    Another reason to go with the title of “Master” is because it has significant cultural meaning. A Master Chef, a Master of Science, a Master Craftsman, a Master of the Martial Arts....it has weight. People respond to it. It commands respect without explanation. One who has mastered something is a Master. It’s almost like wearing a crown. People automatically have a sense of reverence and respect for a Master. Words are only as significant as the responses they invoke. “Master” is a master invoker!

    One must also consider the moods and motivations “Master” evokes from the one being mastered. Calling someone “Master” puts the caller in a submissive state, an empty cup type of comportment where one waits to be instructed and is open to learning.

    Andrew should be called Master because it has a double meaning. Master is an old timey way of addressing a letter or invitation to a young boy for a highly formal occasion.
    Andrew is one of those complex creatures who embodies little-boyness. He might even come across as having Peter Pan syndrome where he is a perpetual boy, gleeful, playful, always on a whimsical adventure where he teaches the young ones around him to fly.
    When one says “Master Trento” it feels like it could mean he’s a dapper young lad ready to attend some fancy occasion in his necktie and boy shorts or...
    there’s that other side to the double meaning that the word “Master” captures so well,
    the proficient, exemplary, dominant, victorious, conquering authority figure.
    Now THAT’S a word! One as complex as the man/boy himself. I’d say “Master” was apropos or as one might say, Tippy.

    Another double meaning for the word “Master” is that it’s a noun AND a verb.
    Andrew is a Master of the martial arts.
    Andrew certainly did master his martial art.
    Gotta love those layers of meaning!

    Then we have the notion of diversity to consider. “Sabumnim” is decidedly Korean. Andrew is not limiting himself to one country’s martial art but is ever expanding his horizons and becoming adept in a variety of techniques. “Master” seems to address Andrew’s propensity for learning other styles. It’s an across the board title, recognizable by all practitioners.

    And of course an obvious reason in favor of the term “Master” is it reminds one of ‘I Dream of Jeannie’ and there’s really no arguing against a 1960’s sitcom reference.

    Lastly, saying
    “Yes, Master Trento”
    just feels kinda right, doesn’t it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I am a Sabum, 4th Dan in Tang Soo Do Mu Du Kwan and other martial arts. My instructors were 2 Grandmasters and a Master.
    A true Master is a master of him/herself. This is an on going goal which lasts a lifetime. Being proficient with martial art skills is only the first step, followed by attaining life skills. A Master is a lifelong learner, studying law, medicine, history, leadership skills, teaching skills, and courageously attaining knowledge on a daily basis so he/she can navigate the vicissitudes of life proficiently.
    The term “Master” is a misnomer since it does not denote a finished product, instead it speaks of a person who has demonstrated the ability to learn and focus intently thereby allowing one to consistently progress through this difficult life and teach others to do the same. Good luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete