Saturday, January 14, 2012

Blast from the Past

Going up through the ranks, I trained very closely with four other people whom are some of the closest friends I have in my life. I dubbed us a group name, the Friars. Years later, we are now the Friars of Old. We trained in martial arts together, some of us Black Belt tested together, we all taught together, and we all grew up together. Most of our life experiences we all shared together and what helped the great bond between us all was the spiritual connection of the lessons the martial arts gave us. P.S, we all triained under the same master and shared those same experiences as well.
After seven years, we all kind of went our separate ways. Kenny worked, Nina went to college, Kristin went to the army, Julie was raising her beautiful daughter, and I was still teaching and training with the old master. However, we all were constantly in each others lives in some way and knew exactly what was going on with each other. In fact, I know I would talk to them just about every week. We would have certain traditions and outings that we continued to do as well. But the first time we all were together, ALL of us together, was four years after we all left the old master, and it was in uniform for TMAFC's first Black Belt test.

Last week, I walk into my school, and a whole bunch of people are already in my school! Most people would be like "what the heck is this?!" I am just happy I have students who ware committed enough to do their workouts and train seriously. However, it wasn't just my own students, but a few special guests. Two of the Friars, Kenny and Julie, happened to be here as well. And TRAINING! I cannot tell you last time each of them did martial arts training. But Kenny is back from college and trained with Robert when I couldn't and when Julie heard, she came swinging over too. 
I was thrilled to see them in MY school doing a workout. Before you know it, we were all doing forms together. Of course here I am, getting the camera out capturing the moment! Robert was thrilled because these were the people who once taught him when he was a kid! Now he is actually working WITH them! But he doesn't realize the thrill for me, I am doing forms with these people and I used to ALWAYS train WITH them. It may have been the first time we did forms together in 7 years.


The funny thing is, they still GOT IT! They have the range of motion, the flexibility, maybe not the memorization, but after a few times reviewing, they caught on, like riding a bike! It was so much fun doing these forms again, who else could understand and appreciate this?? Oh! That's right, a mentor! Lisa came in for her workout with me and finally got to meet two of the Friars and we performed a form for her, knowing she would absolutely LOVE it!



 It's these spontaneous and silly moments we run into in our lives that we really love and remember. The fact that I just walk into my school and there's these people already here working out, but then them being the people who you trained with from the past! I reminded me of the old days a little bit. You know that feeling that overcomes you from a pastime and you feel like you are actually there years ago again? That's how I felt. It was so awesome! And my Friars of Old are ALWAYS welcome at TMAFC!

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO

1 comment:

  1. I DID absolutely love it! I had butterflies in my stomach the whole time!

    ReplyDelete