Friday, January 20, 2012

The Level Test

Last Saturday was the long awaited level test for three of my Black Belts. They worked very hard getting their requirements down in order to qualify for this test. At my school, we do these one day, few hours level tests, almost like midterms to see where the Black Belts are at and whether or not they are ready to learn the next part of their curriculum. It takes two years by me to go from 1st Dan to 2nd Dan, if the student chooses to go that route.

This was also my first level test where I had my Black Belts do a plethora of material, the most I have ever done on a level test. It's attributed mostly due to the fact I taught them so much in the last year. I went according to the AAU Taekwondo guidelines which makes it a very standard test, nothing like the actual BELT tests which are numerous days long, like Ms Barrett's. The AAU Guidelines are Patterns, General Knowledge, Self-Defense, Sparring, and Breaking.

For patterns they had to perform the traditional Taekwondo forms (I.T.F tuls), the Olympic Taeguek forms, and the Olympic Palgwe system forms. Not many students teach all three. The general knowledge portion was historical information on the traditional forms, basic Korean terminology, and then performance of their basic blocks, kicks, and kicking combinations. Then for self-defense they had to demonstrate their low level escapes, higher level self-defenses, and the ground defenses. Then we did Olympic style Taekwondo sparring which was 2 minute rounds, light head contact allowed, and they all did at least 4 or five matches. Then we ended with their Black Belt required breaks.

Robert Lisciandrello, Erin McKenna, and Andrew Kranich have trained together for years under me. Each one performed very well, and each has showed interest in testing for 2nd Degree. It's funny because as I continue to journey to masterhood, I have done a lot of reflecting and a lot of going back into time in my head. I remember when I took my 1st Dan level II test with Kristin Barrett in August of 2004. I remember the standards that we made so high for students who followed us afterward. Then I think of how I was training for MY 2nd Dan test and what my test was like. Kristin Barrett set the standard for 2nd Dan for my school, but I wonder if these three can exceed it. You never know.

I am always trying to push the envelope, as a good mentor should do. The most prepared for this test was Robert. Robert put in so much time into his training, he really wanted to get better, he really wanted to test well, and his improvement showed. You can just tell he put the time and work in. His conditioning and sparring (which he used to hate) has improved tremendously, and he sets goals for himself WITHOUT me having to badger him. He will be an incredible 2nd Dan if he keeps to his course.

Andrew has a lot of potential. He was just beginning to tap into that potential when he got his Black Belt, doing an incredible amount of training at the time. He said at the end of his test, he did well but feels he can do better. I know if he puts in the time and effort, he will be very prepared for his 2nd Degree test and leave a higher standard than I did when I test for 2nd Degree back in 2005.

Erin is an overthinker. She always has been. It's a good thing sometimes, and other times it is not. As a teacher I LOVE questions. And so does she. She asks many questions which is a very good thing. But when you ask the same questions over and over, it's more of a sign of doubt. She sometimes questions herself and at one point, I had three women Black Belt have some "girl talk" with her to get her mind back on track. Once they did that, she moved forward. She did great after that, and kept her focus. But again, she has a fire in her that needs to burn on the outside! I remember training with the women I went through the ranks with, and the guys were afraid of them!

The level test is a great "checkpoint" and I give feedback to the students as to where they can improve and what they should be looking for as they continue on with their training for their next belt test. They have one year to properly prepare. The five P's of achievement stand for Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance. As long as they don't take the next year lightly, and train as if their test is tomorrow, they will shine like the candles they really are. Congratulations to Robert, Erin, and Andrew and good luck with the next half of the journey to 2nd Dan!

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment