Thursday, January 12, 2012

Successful Friendship


A few weeks ago I watched the classic movie with Jimmy Stewart, It's a Wonderful Life. It wasn't originally made to be a Christmas movie, but it is always thought of and played as one. It's a wonderful story about how one person in the world can touch so many lives and have such an impact in the world, and that person may never know it.

I know a lot of times, we have all thought at one point "oh the world would be better off without me," or "No one will ever miss me," or even "No one really cares about me." That is exactly how the main character in It's a Wonderful Life felt and would rather have never been born.The movie goes throughout his entire life and sees the events and choices he has made and the wonderful things he has done for his family, friends, and people in his entire town.

When he is given a glimpse of what it would be like without him being born, he is given a huge eye opener. By not being born he was not there to save his brother from drowning, so his brother was not there in the war to save those 60 hostages, and he wasn't there to stop the druggist from overdosing medication for a client, and he wasn't there to stop the rich snob of the town from taking over financially. He could never have thought things could be so bad without his existence.

At the end of the movie, the angel who guided him to rekindling his gift of life writes him a letter and one line in the letter that really caught my eye was: "Remember, no man is a failure who has friends." Ain't it the truth! When the main character, George, was in trouble, that was all the town needed to know, and they came in great numbers and delivered! I tear up when I see this part of the movie. To be so loved and respected and to have all these people who he has touched in such a great way come out to help him, just breath taking to me.

I am very lucky to have the friends I have in my life. And if the angel, Clarence, is right in his letter, then I must say I am no failure because I have such wonderful friends. But I pause to think of a few gems that come to mind right away. Kristin Barrett and I go as far back as I can remember. She is one of the few people whom I hold very close to my heart, and one of the few people I have no secrets with. She knows just about everything about me. And I know she will always have my back and be there for me as I will for her. Robert Lisciandrello is what I call the powerhouse of friendship. His loyalty alone is golden to me. To have seen what a wonderful man he turned out to be is priceless and is always there for me.

The rest of my Friars (Kenny, Julie, and Nina) I always put on a pedestal. We've gone through a lot together and really grew up to be who we are today together in each others lives in some way. We learned some of the greatest things that we use in our lives together as well, and that alone bonds us for life. I am eternally grateful to still have them in my life. Then there is Lisa who is such a gift to anyone who comes in contact with her. Intelligent, so loving, and so much fun, Lisa is the kind of friend I can bring to anyone and she fits right in. Our friendship grew very fast and very strong. And not only is she my friend but a mentor whom I love to death and respect so much. And then there is Jessie, who I have known for so long. We have the same values and interests in life, and we share the want to think at a higher level but also keep a child-like wonder in the world!

I have a friend named Melinda, who was actually a friend of my brother's first. She is very smart and the life of the party. She is full of energy and is pretty much considered part of the family. The only family friend I can think of actually. And when you're with Melinda, you can't help but smile and laugh because the one word I would label Melinda with is FUN. John Vanderhee is another friend whom I don't get to see as often but we talk as often as we can. John is very loyal, fun to be around, and when we trained in martial arts we would have so much fun. John is also a very big fan as well as a loving friend. And my little brother from another mother, Frankie! I've known him for so long and he is this laid back, cool, humorous guy who grabs everyone's attention with his witty personality and unique style. I love that kid so much!

These are just a few gems I think of at the top of my head. There are so many, and I often wish I could have them all together in one room just one time, just to be with them all at once. I imagine that and I just get extremely happy and I fill up with love. Clarence is right, no man can consider himself a failure when he has friends. I am eternally grateful for the friends I have in my life. Some of those friends are more than friends. They are family. As I get older, I find who my true friends are, and I couldn't be happier knowing they are there for me as I am for them.

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment