Saturday, August 20, 2011

The First Step to Acceptance

"Understanding is the first step to acceptance, and only with acceptance can there be recovery."
-Professor Albus Dumbeldore, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
This summer I have been rereading my all time favorite fictional book series, Harry Potter. I just finished reading the fourth novel today and while I was reading this book, I found an answer to my hidden lesson in reference to my last blog.

First off, I have several teachers and many are fictional. Sound odd? It may but let me explain. I have no master however I have, as you already know, mentors. These are people whom I know personally in my life and guide me in several different ways. However, one may also not only have mentors but role models. Is there a difference? Well that is a matter of opinion and we can make that discussion at a later time. But I can say that I idolize many qualities from my mentors and even my former master, but I have no personal role model. No one I can honestly say "I want to be just like them!"

But there are some cultural role models that I have. People like Walt Disney, Benjamin Franklin, Lucille Ball, Barbara Walters, and Bruce Lee, whom I have studied and tried to understand, to better myself in the qualities they possess. And then there are characters from fictional places whom I absolutely LOVE, and they happen to be all wise characters in their own way but have similar qualities that I would hope to see in myself as a teacher.

For example, if you have ever seen the old TV show The Facts of Life, I LOVE Mrs. Garrett. Don't judge! She was funny and cheesy, but she gave wonderful advice in the times needed most, yet able to hold a jovial disposition. Master Yoda from the movie series Star Wars was this happy go lucky little creature finding it fun to bust Luke Skywalker's chops, but ended up being the most powerful and wise Jedi Master. I love Mr. Miyagi from The Karate Kid having quotes and metaphors for Daniel LaRusso in every life experience. Professor Oak was the go-to person for all new Pokemon trainers when they started their Pokemon journey!

And then of course Albus Dumbledore, the greatest sorcerer in the world and greatest headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry! He was wise, powerful, yet humbling and joyful. He was so light-hearted and his eyes would twinkle, but in moments where evil showed it's ugly face, did you see the fierceness of this wizard's power!

Now don't go thinking I am crazy yet! I know these people aren't real. But does that mean we cannot learn from the lessons these characters pose in these TV shows, movies, and books? After reading the first four Harry Potter books again, I could write a month's worth of blog posts just on quotations of Dumbledore due the the phenomenal substance of what he is teaching to Harry Potter and his friends. Such wise advice, and such intelligent views! Almost inspirational!

With that being said, I was Dumbledore's student today. I haven't been sleeping well, and I feel I have been pushing many things aside and not facing the issues which have grieved my spirit. And I ended my last post questioning whether I should even figure out WHY and just figure out the HOW to fix my little funk. I wanted to figure out what the lesson was behind all this. Well when you keep an open mind, sometimes the answer comes to you when you least expect it, and from the most peculiar places. In this case, it was Dumbledore.
The above quote shot out at me as if it were written in big bold letters. Understanding is the first step of acceptance. Well then that obviously means the WHY is important. That is something I always turned my nose away from. Who cares about why! It just does to do different! That was my thought process. But in order to accept the way things are, or to accept an outcome, or to accept other people's choices, or the accept your OWN choices, to accept the responses to the events in life, first must come understanding. 

I refer us all to my mentor Professor Lisa Sargese in her response to a blog post I made on the responses to expectations:

"Sometimes acceptance is more important than struggle.
Sometimes struggle is more important than settling for what is.
Wisdom helps us discern when to do what."
-Professor Lisa Sargese
 
Acceptance is more important than the struggle. In order to have acceptance in or lives, we must come to understanding behind the reasoning behind the things we do, think, speak, respond, and react to. However, as Lisa points out, there are times where struggling through something builds better character than settling for the way things are. Only experience can let us know the time for which. 

And then of course, once acceptance sets into our heart, can we RECOVER. BINGO! Recovery. I have seen this physcially. I have seen this mentally. How many people have I seen heal their own bodies once they have accepted what they have (whether it be injury or illness) and they make miraculous recovery! They did not deny their ailments, nor were in denial. They accepted fully for what was NOW, and made tomorrow come much quicker. For if they saw today with utmost pain and melancholy, the process is delayed. Another post I made was you get what you think--PERIOD! Focus on the negative you get more negative, focus on positive you get positive. It is basic psychology, not magic!

I have also seen this with the mind! How people transformed their depression to pure happiness! People who have changed anxiety to excitement! People who have turned spite into bliss! They accept what they think about by accepting how they FEEL about something, then have the ability to have this sudden transformation of the heart! 

So now that I have done this with the body and mind, it is time to take the struggle to do the same spiritually. Never done before, so it'll be new. But to accept certain things that have damaged my spirit, I must understand the collaborative lessons, the pros and cons, of my experiences. And in order to do so, I must understand it all. Then I will be on my own road to recovery! Sound challenging? Oh yes! =D Challenge Accepted!

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment