Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Oldest Living Black Belt

"I approached Judo and my life with the intent to be gentle, kind and beautiful, yet firm and strong, both mentally and physically. This kind of beauty is decidedly not external. A compassionate soul is inner beauty. I believe this is true beauty...All my life this has been my dream."       -Sensei Keiko Fukada


A friend of mine posted this link on my Facebook page and I read this article and was absolutely fascinated! The article was about a 98 year old woman who had achieved her 10th Degree Black Belt in the martial art Judo! She i one of four living this high rank. It is the highest rank you can earn in judo and many martial arts and only 16 people have accomplished this in Judo!

I am in awe to see someone with that kind of passion and to live to be almost 100 years old still training and teaching martial arts! I want to be just like this sensei! And I always have a deep respect for "powerful" women like this Sensei Fukada. Women in our culture like Lucille Ball, Barbara Walters, J.K Rowling and so many others always intrigued me. I also have very strong women in my family. Going up in ranks of martial arts, I was one of three boys and I trained with seven girls, and NONE of them were pushovers by any means. And when I opened my own school, believe it or not I had more girls than boys sign up! At one point my class ratio was 8 girls to one boy!

So my female students who are reading this blog, there is a lot to say for GIRL POWER! But besides being two years away from being one hundred and a female, but this master of martial arts had a DREAM, very much like I have a dream. And I guess it goes to show you that you truly are NEVER TOO OLD to accomplish your dreams!

Thank you Sensei Keiko Fukada for inspiring other martial artists such as myself to push on in our raining, and give people like myself the inspiration to go for MY dream to becoming a master, and I hope I can be in my nineties getting my tenth degree just like you! And thank you for inspiring the women who come into the martial arts, in showing them true GIRL POWER!

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO

Article: http://shine.yahoo.com/event/vitality/98-year-old-woman-becomes-first-woman-ever-to-earn-judos-highest-degree-black-belt-2523297

No comments:

Post a Comment