Monday, August 15, 2011

Unconditional Love

(Sadie the Boxer, my God-dogger)
"A person can learn a lot from a dog, even a loopy one like ours. Marley taught me about living each day with unbridled exuberance and joy, about seizing the moment and following your heart. He taught me to appreciate the simple things - a walk in the woods, a fresh snowfall, a nap in a shaft of winter sunlight. And as he grew old and achy, he taught me about optimism in the face of adversity. Mostly, he taught me about friendship and selflessness and, above all else, unwavering loyalty."   
                              -John Grogan, Marley and Me, 2005 
 
For the record, I have never ever been a "dog person," and for that fact I have never been an "any-kind-of-animal" person before. Not that I disliked animals, but I liked them from a distance. I used to have issues when dogs would lick my face, or on my mouth, I thought it was disgusting. When they shed and had hair everywhere. Those things used to skive(sic) me out. 

Now I have had family members with dogs and cats before, and they never took to me because mainly I would not take to them, in all fairness. Even in my last apartment, downstairs were two dogs, one who was as friendly as can be and loved to eat, and another who hated anything breathing except for it's three owners, HAHAHA. With the exception of the cat, Digger, whom was more human than cat to me, I never got along with animals.

And then at my Grand Opening of my martial arts school, one of my best friends, Kristin Barrett, says to me "Do you want to meet my daughter?" Daughter?! What?! So I walk outside, and there waiting was this small, beautiful Boxer. "Her name is Sadie." Sadie truly was a beautiful little pup. And there was only one word that popped into my mind when I met her: Energy! Oh boy! If Sadie was a human with that much kind of energy, I'd LOVE to have her in one of my martial arts classes.

I met Sadie again a few weeks after that at a BBQ Kristin was having, and then again in the winter and she grown in size and in beauty. Then sometime in the spring, Kristin asked me if I could spend the day with Sadie because she was going down the shore to visit relatives. I said sure no problem. But wait a minute! I don't like taking care of pets! What was I thinking?! I guess my love for Kristin overcame my lack of love for animals, because I would do anything for Kristin.

Well after my first time dog-sitting for Sadie, I was hooked! She welcomed me with all this energy, I took her out, she listened, gave her treats, and when I would sit on the couch to watch TV, she would come right up and sit next to me. There were two times, though, that she won me over. At one point, The Karate Kid was on TV and I was actually commentating to Sadie what was going on. And then she laid her head down on my lap. OH MY GOD!!!!! I went all gushy! My heart turned to puddy! Unconditional love! I have always heard the saying "A man's best friend" is a dog. Well now I knew why! Another time that evening she just came up and sat on my lap like nothing. As if she were a toddler wanting to sit on my lap. I was in love with a Boxer!

When Kristin got home I was telling her what a great time I was having with her and how I felt the love from Sadie, and when it was time to leave (get ready for this), Sadie was actually pouting! It didn't LOOK like she was pouting, she WAS pouting. Her bottom lip protruding out, and I was prolonging my leave because I didn't want to leave that unconditional love either! I can't remember where I'd have that before!

A few weeks later I get another opportunity to babysit Sadie! Kristin and her girlfriend were going out with a bunch of friends to see this comedian in the city and offered me a chance to watch Sadie and spend the night. I was there! Once again, I experienced unconditional love that I cannot remember experiencing from anyone else before! She sits on my lap, puts her head on me, licks the hell out of my face (which I am getting used to), and just happy to see me! 

So after that second visit with my little slumber party with Sadie, I was named Sadie's Godfather. So Sadie has been dubbed my God-dogger! And I absolutely love her! To think? ME? The Godfather of a Boxer? It's a title I am so proud to have, as much as being called a Black Belt! And I used to make fun of people who would be so gaga over their pets like this! Well I guess they showed me! The unconditional love won me over.
 
Last weekend I got another chance to watch Sadie overnight, while Kristin and her girlfriend, Diana, went down the shore. I picked up Sadie from the camp she was at and she didn't know who was picking her up and she was so excited to see me! Well I had to treat her to a little something special! It was a beautiful day so I decided to take her to the park. We walked the entire two parks, which is about 4 miles. She was SUCH a good dog. Never barked at other dogs on their leashes like the others would do, it made me so proud!

However, I didn't know how Sadie was when it came to ducks and geese. I didn't think of this before until our first test approached. Up ahead about 50 feet was a large group of geese. Uh-oh. I didn't think about this. As we approached our first test, I began to hold the leash with a firmer grip. But my Sadie is such a good dog, I need not worry at all! Sadie was exploring! She looked at this new park in wonderment, taking in every little detail! One small dog tried to bark at Sadie and she just looked at it like "For real?" When she was tired of being bullied by this rat sized dog she barked three times and it ran away. An elderly gentlemen nearby laughed his socks off!

We went back home and she PASSED OUT! She was tired between the park and camp. But she would come by and sit next to me, and my heart went all gushy again. She ate, watched TV, and then slept with me that night. It broke my heart to leave because I had to put her in her cage, and I told Kristin "Don't ever make me do that again!" I felt so guilty. I came back later when Kristin and Diana were home, and I got such a wonderful greeting from Sadie! Kristin was like "Excuse me! We didn't get a greeting like that when we got home!" 

Sorry mommy! But I'm the Godfather! I was telling them all about our weekend together and then Sadie came up to me licking my face like unbelievable, Kristin saying she felt "a little jealous, I can't lie," and then she sat down beside me to sleep. But then you know what happened next? Sadie put her paw in my hand while she was sleeping. 

Diana pointed it out and said "She loves her Godfather!" And I get teary eyed, because I am such a sensitive dope, and I say "And her Godfather loves his God-dogger." There are no words to describe unconditional love like that. I never wanted a dog of my own before, and Sadie changed that for me. Now is not the time, so Sadie is my prize. In a couple of weeks I get her again and I am so excited! But to experience unconditional love that is so surreal to me.

I only have a few friends who ever greet me the way Sadie does, hahahaha. And maybe a few relatives. When my younger brother was even younger maybe he would, but not anymore. But every time I get a greeting from Sadie, I know without any doubt there is love. When she plops herself on my lap, or puts her paw in my hand, even when she slobbers all over my face, you know you are loved. To have absolutely no doubt that someone loves you to that extreme and shows it in those little ways is absolutely priceless! Thank you Sadie for that love. Your Godfather loves you too! 

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I got to spend virtual quality time with Sadie today!! Hope I can meet her someday :-)

    ReplyDelete