Thursday, November 3, 2011

Where are the REAL reflections?

"There are two ways to spread light. By being the candle or the mirror."
-Edith Warton


This is my all time favorite quote. It is where I got the title of my book, and it is where I got the title of my blog. It is where I got the idea of putting a candle in my business logo, and it is where I got the idea to give every Black Belt a candle at their tests. My metaphor and what I stand for is always the candle. My focus is on the candle, my teaching come from the candle, my philosophy on life is about being the candle. And it just so happens our first fundraiser was selling Yankee candles for our competition team!

But the mirror....well unfortunately many people live lives as a mirror. A mirror that reflects the light from another is unable to shine their own light from within themselves. Now, everyone CAN do this, but not everyone will choose to. They choose not to because their past experiences are their reality (but that is also by choice). They do this because they lack the confidence and value on themselves. They choose this because they subconsciously want it. But the truth of the matter is, they CAN choose otherwise. Some need guiding, some need time. But it is not impossible to learn to shine your own light and be a candle.

That is what life is all about. Being the candle. There are too many mirrors in this world. And you know what some of those mirrors try to do? They describe other people (whether it be their actions, choices, dress, words) as if they had a PHD to do so, but in fact they are actually describing THEMSELVES! I see this all the time. Friends, parents, coaches, they make the mistake of being quick to judge and recognize something and describe someone else, and they really are just mirroring themselves. They are describing their own beings to the T! 

We don't have mirrors like Snow White's evil step-mother to ask who is the fairest in the land, but we can ask our inner self those deep questions and whether we can learn to accept the honest truth, which WILL be your answer, then and only THEN will you be able to make the choice to becoming a candle. You can make the changes in your life to do so. You can be happy NOW and you can be successful NOW, and you don't have to go pointing the finger. I was told when you point fingers, there are four pointing back at you (hmmm maybe three, I just tried it =P). 

Don't be quick to judge, and look at yourself first! Sometimes, silence is the best answer. Only speak when you KNOW what you're talking about. And be honest with yourself! SO are you a candle? Or are you a mirror? The choice is yours!

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO 

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...water is your element and yet you are captivated by fire. Interesting.

    Yes, that which most vexes us in others is usually what we've rejected about ourselves and projected on to the other. It's easier to hate our own flaws when they're not ours (even though they are).

    Biblically we're told to remove the board from our own eye before trying to remove the speck from our brother's eye.

    Ok, I'm lolly gagging leaving a comment on your blog when I should be writing my own!

    ReplyDelete