Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Give Yourself a Break!!

"Sometimes the journey towards our goals passes through these stages where it seems like nothing is really taking place. We feel stuck, we might feel like nothing is happening to advance our progress. It’s often in these times that the greatest changes are taking place. So much of this process is about what goes on with us on the inside, and while we stare anxiously in the mirror for evidence of the physical changes, it’s actually what is happening on the inside that is the most powerful. Each day that we find it within ourselves to Kickbox we are building discipline, inner strength, perseverance and our ability to dedicate ourselves to things that really matter. Fat loss, toned muscles and all of they physical rewards of our daily training are really just the by-products of having the inner fortitude to stick it out day in day out. This inner power that we develop has the ability to touch every area of our lives, and the confidence it can lend each of us is truly just as trans-formative as all of the amazing physical results we experience together. Think about your strength today during each of the reps and feel the drive of your movements from the inside out – it’s there where your true power rests."
-Master Kevin Balon, 7th Degree Black Belt

My mentor, Master Kevin Balon, who is a 7th Degree Black Belt and will be the one to test me for my 4th Degree Black Belt test this upcoming year, posted this on one of his Facebook pages. The lesson here is awesome and hits a chord for me. Although he is talking about Kickboxing training, I see it as overall training and sometimes just basic life decisions.

He is absolutely right. Sometimes we go through these times where we feel that we are just standing still in the same spot. My old master taught me, even when you stand still, you are falling behind because everyone else is still stepping forward, creating more distance. When it comes to our goals, and Lord knows I have many, there are many times where I feel like nothing is getting done. Or not enough is getting done. And I get mad. Mad at the process, mad at myself, mad in general.

But I also have to give myself a BREAK. Because, and we all do this, we forget to take a step back and look in from the outside and see that we really DO accomplish a lot more than we think or give ourselves credit for, even in the time allotment we had! My other mentor, Lisa, I know sometimes will get moments where she will feel weak or vulnerable because of her new knee. However, she had the surgery end of July and has been walking without a cane, crutch, of wheelchair when she thought she may need the crutch till December, she goes up and down stairs, and stands for long periods of time. She healed ten times faster than she or anyone expected! And it's only been a few short months. 

My other mentor Charlene will have moments like this as well. She will feel like so much time has gone by and she just wants to hide from the stress, and get angry over certain circumstances in her life, and she can never do enough for her five children. But once she takes a step back, she sees she is doing a fantastic job for her family and her children know that mom loves 'em! And there's nothing more rewarding than your own child's praise for your accomplishments!

I did this when I opened my school. I did in it 16 months, which is not that long at all. But during the time it felt like forever and nothing was progressing and improving, but in reality so many things were happening that lead to it's fruition, and I was too blind at the time to see it. We cannot condition ourselves to perceive as not enough, but to perceive things happening in abundance.

Yes, I often feel stuck in my life. Some areas I really am. But I always begin with the end in mind. I never know the how's, and that I WILL. And everything I say I do, I do. Not because I get what I want and am selfish, but because I believe strongly in something and never give up. Time is an illusion and things happen when they must, while we still put in the effort to bring them to life. 

Master Balon also points out, even though we don't see things on the outside, does not mean nothing is happening on the inside. And that is SOOO true! When I first started this blog, I did it to keep myself accountable to living the life of a master on my journey to becoming a master. My mission was the accomplish things and be happy despite any circumstances that I found myself in. Well I have come SUCH a long way since I started in July, and I should really acknowledge it all. And the goals and strides I wanted to make in my training is another view I must take.

I have learned all these new forms, sparring once again, and so many new levels in my mental and spiritual training, its so overwhelming! And those great changes and progress I am making is all on the inside of me. And it's the Qi inside that affects everything I do on the outside. Those are the things as Master Balon says "we are building discipline, inner strength, perseverance and our ability to dedicate ourselves to things that really matter." And he is absolutely right! And I am getting ready to make big strides. Next month is the last month of my fall training cycle. And I'm really going to pick up my game even more. Time to get serious. 

The next six months from January to June is my last training cycle and are my last six months as a 3rd Degree Black Belt. I am going to be in full swing with my training just as I was a couple years ago, and then skyrocketing everything together. A lot of work, a lot of time, but making things happen on the way. ON the inside, and on the outside.

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment