Thursday, December 22, 2011

White Christmas





My favorite Christmas SONG is not my favorite Christmas carol. Just clarifying that in case it comes up later on, LOL! Grandma Cyn's favorite song is WHITE CHRISTMAS. She sings it all year round, come to think of it. She sings it at every opportune moment as well. But I also have a little tradition that goes along with this song.

When I was in the sixth grade, I had a teacher named Mrs. Campbell. She is an excellent teacher, very motivating, and I loved being in her class. She LOVED math, loves to read, and had a great way of connecting with her students. For the holidays, the elementary school I was in had began a School Sing Along tradition. It was the first year the school did this. They had the entire school sing several traditional carols and songs, but White Christmas was NOT one of them!

Mrs. Campbell heard me say White Christmas should have been a priority and agreed! So what did we do? Me, another teacher named Mrs. Martin (a very good friend of Mrs. Campbell's), and Mrs. Campbell sang at the top of our lungs White Christmas for the entire auditorium to hear. It was silly, and funny, but we enjoyed it and said it wouldn't be Christmas without singing that song! Well the next day it snowed!

I graduated elementary school that year, and when I was in middle school the following year, before Christmas break, I returned to Mrs. Campbell's and the three of us sang White Christmas again! Well before you knew it, it became a tradition that every year on the last day of school before break, after I graduated elementary school, middle school, and even high school, I continued to go back to sing White Christmas with Mrs. Campbell and Mrs. Martin.

So what did I do today? I planned my entire day around going back to sing White Christmas for the eleventh year in a row. The kids sometimes even sing along with us, or just find it hilarious to see these three adults arm and arm singing White Christmas at the top of our lungs. And this year we all had sore throats. But it never matters because we do not break tradition. And I must say, it always feels like a white Christmas when I go back to sing in Mrs. Campbell's classroom.

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment