Friday, December 16, 2011

Remember the Names

I remember almost every student I ever taught. Don't believe me? That is okay. I would probably find it unbelievable too. I have taught hundreds, maybe even thousands of people over the years of all ages. And I always prided myself in two things: I remember each one, because as I taught them I made it my business to know who they were. And two, I remembered their names first time I taught them. Once I knew their names, that was it, your face has been engraved in my mind.

I know many instructors and masters who know their students by a number and nothing more. And if they DO know the students' names then it is because they have been there long enough to get a belt high ran enough to remember your name! But I made it my business to know the person's name and something about them. Their likes, dislikes, school life, weaknesses, strong points, fears, motivation, etc.

Kristin and I did that when we taught together. We took these kids on as if they were our own. Technically, they were ours. At my grand opening, I had students who I haven't taught for years show up to support the opening of TMAFC, and many were afraid I would not remember who they were, even if they grew up a little. Well I remembered each one of their names and they were in awe that I did. I impressed the parents and my friends too. But that is because I invested in all my students.

Last week, a former student from five years ago walked in front of my school and when his mother saw me, they walked in. They walked in to say hello, and right away I remember the boy's name. "Hello Raymond!" he couldn't believe after all these years I remembered his name! I also remembered his sister's name, who was not there, from years ago. When he walked in so shy and quiet, when I called him by his name, his whole demeanor changed. He was talking and confident. I don't know what it is, but knowing someone's name shows you care about someone, I guess. And young Raymond felt that.

It's funny because when I run into old students like this, and there are MANY, my current Black Belts, like Robert, Samantha, Andrew, Frankie, and Erin all have so many things they remember about me. Stupid jokes or mannerisms, sayings, and stories of me of how I would teach. And Robert and Sam exclaim "You've been using those same jokes since I was a white belt!" But the truth is, there are students before their time, after their time, and more students who will come who will never meet perhaps, but will all have the same stories and remember the same things about Mr. Trento. I hope they remember my name, just as I remembered theirs.

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO

1 comment:

  1. "Mr. Trento"...say it loud and there's music playing...say it soft and it's almost like praying :D

    ReplyDelete