Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Reconditioning Habits

"The victory means a lot to me. I won a bronze at the Beijing Olympic games and I have trained very hard to this day. I made history in Taekwondo and I am proud of being part of the history."
-Steven Lopez, 3x Olympic medalist in Taekwondo

The Olympic games had Taekwondo as a demonstration sport in the 1988 Games, 1992 games, and I think 1996 Games. It wasn't until the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games did Taekwondo become an Olympic sport. Absolutely amazing. I remember the year, and it was a BIG deal. And the first and only medalist for the USA was Steven Lopez. He won the gold in 2000 Sydney Games, and then again in the 2004 Athens Games, and then a bronze in 2008 Beijing Games. 
I used to know the exact steps to what one athlete would have to do in order to qualify for the Olympic Games, and a few of my adult students asked me in tonight's class. I answered as best I could and from memory, knowing the sport and rules always change. Wasn't too sure of the process. I knew a lot of team trials were important. And there were like eight phases one would have to accomplish. This is a little vague but it's the best I can do for now.

Tonight I returned to my mentor, Peter Bardatsos's, school to work with Steven Lin. Master Bardatsos asked me at Saturday's seminar if I would come in to help Steven in preparation to what I thought was the U.S Open tournament in Las Vegas in February. But it is actually for the US Team Trials in January where he will be fighting in the seventh phase of the Olympic process. If he continues on to the eight (to my meek understanding) he will be able to go to the Olympic Games. 

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is all I can say. WOW! WOW WOW WOW! And I get to spar with him? Once again, I begin to feel unworthy to partner with him, but I shook it off fast and got even more excited to feel as if I was a part of this future Olympian's journey. There were two other kids working out as well, but Steven and I were partners for the entire class. I wore three hogus (chest protectors) as I trained with him. I was literally the kicking dummy. I got to kick too, but it really helps me to watch Steven and allow him to kick me and get used to getting kicked again. Like I said, it's been sooooo long since I've done this Olympic sparring training.

I was there to help Steven, and I really want to be of help. And I hope I am. But the truth is, I feel Steven is being more help to me then I am to him. I said flat out to both Master Bardatsos and Steven, "Inadequate is how I feel." And watching some of the things Master Bardatsos is teaching us from stretches to kicking drills, they were a lot of stuff my old master taught me. Then of course it dawned on me, DUH, Master Bardatsos had trained my master before, actually tested my old master for his 4th Degree Black Belt. But there were a lot of things he didn't teach me in sparring, and didn't prepare me for. He made me a phenomenal martial artists, with values and technique, and a student to progress solo. But not in sparring and that is where I get frustrated.

Master Bardatsos told me, "It's just creating new habits. Making it a habit, so you don't have to think about it." And of course, my mentor is right. Just create the new habits. Recondition myself properly. I am testing for 4th Degree Black Belt in June. I want elite level sparring, as a master should have. And it helps to have Steven Lin, who is an AWESOME partner. It's great to make the drills real, keep me on my toes, give me pointers, communicates with me, and I know if I keep this training up, I WILL improve. He really is helping me. I just hope I can and am helping him as much. I am really proud of him. I don't think he realizes, I think of him as royalty when it comes to sparring. 

My friend George Valentino reminded me the other day, "You are very hard on yourself." True. But I have standards and expectations that need to be met. Big goals, and I need to be patient. Conditioning needs a boost, technique and range of motion need a boost. My legs are tiring out. And thank GOD for the oils. Panaway took away all the bruises, Peace and Calming relaxed me, and Lavender kept me at ease as well. Add a little Qi and we have some powerful stuff. I remember when I didn't train and when I began to train again I felt like "Did I really do this to myself?" And then months later I was in the best shape of my life ever. I kinda feel ths way now with sparring. "Did I really do this to myself?" But I will get there! I know I will.

Reconditioning habits. There are a lot of habits in my life I will be reconditioning, but it's all for a greater good, and a common good. But if there is one thing I can say about tonight's workout: God do I miss sparring! 

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO


No comments:

Post a Comment