Thursday, October 27, 2011

A Humbling Beginning

(Master Peter Bardatsos, 6th Dan Black Belt, as a brand new white belt)
 
One of my mentors is six time national coach and winner of various medals at the most prestigious competitions in Olympic Taekwondo. He is known as the best coach in Olympic Sparring on the east coast and has a school in Queens, NY and now in Little Falls, NJ with his partner. His name is Master Peter Bardasos. He was actually the one to give my master his 4th Degree.

I met Master Bardatsos when I was 12 years old. I was training for my Black Belt test. It was after he trained my master for hi 4th Degree test and had him compete a little. Then my old master had Master Bardatsos come to our school to train a few students who would pay for a competitive edge sparring program that he ran for a few weeks. My friends Julie and Kenny actually got to work with him in that program. I would watch and workout on the side doing jump ropes, and he was actually the one to give me a little advice on how to improve my jumping rope that I use to this day.

Then after I received my Black Belt I began to compete and my old master would bring  me to Queens to spar with Master Bardatsos's students: the best of the best. We would get beaten and knocked around, it was great! When I got older I would try to go there once or twice a month when I could drive to Queens and go to his school or seminars he would host, one was in fact held at my old school. I was able to spar some of the best Taekwondo practitioners and it was such a great experience, they would really help me as well. Master Bardatsos produced some of the greatest champions and they would win medals from national and international tournaments.

But Master Bardatsos is first, and foremost, a MASTER. Although he has great physical ability, the skill of a warrior, he also holds the qualities of a master such as integrity and humility. The other day he posts a picture of himself wearing a white uniform with a white belt. He has started a new journey! He has become a white belt once again and will be learning a new art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

Isn't humbling to know there are masters who don't have an ego that will allow themselves to not only continue learning, but to start from the beginning again? To be a white belt and start all over with a brand new journey. To master one art and to work with anew, I find it inspiring and am in awe. It's what a true master would do. I know many jack of all trades but master of none, and it's nice to know there are some real true masters out there that I can so I am proud to know!

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO

1 comment:

  1. Peter you are the man. Good luck on your journey to excellence. You are an inspiration to us all.

    ReplyDelete