Sunday, October 30, 2011

Snow Bound






Yesterday was October 29, 2011. And it snowed -_____-. It not only snowed, but it was a blizzard. I could not BELIEVE my eyes! You would have thought we were in the middle of January. I was supposed to have our Halloween party for the students called The Monster Mash, and it was snowing from 10:00 in the morning and on! Can you believe it? I couldn't! It was absolutely insane! It's not even Halloween! I don't remember singing "White Halloween" vs "White Christmas"!

In August we had felt the aftermath of an earthquake, in September we had a major flood that people are still suffering from, and now a blizzard in October. I cannot help but think that this spiritual storm is brewing stronger and stronger. But what does it mean? Big changes? Good things? What does our future bring? I hold the belief that what we think about, we bring about. SO let's make our thoughts all good ones, and use this spiritual energy for good and good only.

Then I get a phone call from my brother's cell phone: They are out of power. No lights, no heat, no anything. The whole town was out of power except for a few parts. TMAFC had power and heat and I almost felt guilty enjoying my lights on, my scented Yankee Candle, my music on, fridge working, microwaved Grandma's vegetable beef barely soup, and had internet. But then I went and got pizza for everyone, knowing we cannot cook, and went to stay with Grandma knowing she'd be alone that night in the dark.

We talked and we were thinking, as I am sure so many people were in the dark, "How did people do it back in the day?" We were not only snow bound. We were bound PERIOD. It is amazing how crippled we all become when we take away one commodity that we render so significant in our lives, and it is a HUGE commodity. We grow absolutely dependent. I find it almost sad that people cannot find any way of helping themselves or being able to ENJOY themselves without electric devices.

My brother was complaining there was no TV, he couldn't charge his phone or his gameboy, Grandpa couldn't use his electric shaver, they couldn't use the radio unless they had batteries, they couldn't microwave anything, they use an electric tea kettle for tea, those who have electric stoves must be going crazy, couldn't contact other people using the internet to see how they were doing; all these handicaps! It makes you think, with all these great innovations, are we further handicapping ourselves in other ways?

This morning my house still has no power, but TMAFC does. Let's hope we not only avoid getting snow bound again, but not bounding ourselves anywhere else in our lives!

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment