Monday, April 15, 2013

Asking for Help


I have a hard time asking for help. Many people will think it's pride or ego. Partly it is, I can't totally negate that notion. But I have a history of working for someone who used to ask for help ONCE, then it became expected to be done, and the thank yous disappeared, and then being taken advantage of was just a normal thing to be done. Besides lack of gratitude, lack of compensation or reciprocation in any way was also done.

So I was always afraid of ever being looked at as a person who would take advantage if I asked for help, especially consistently, and I never asked for help if I couldn't do something in return or compensated in any way. It prevented me from asking for help when I really needed it, and it made me do everything on my own.

Many people would say to me "You're not Superman! You can't do everything." Truth be told, I HAVE done everything and I didn't do too badly. Everything I ever said I would do I have done. When I train, I say I am going to do certain things, I sure as hell do them. When I say I will work with people, I have and done so. When I say I have a project to do, I have done them all! Never tell me what I can't do. Even worse, don't tell me anything I "have" to do either.

That being said, I have come to a point in my life where I have done EVERYTHING. Even in running my business, I have done it all. You need fourteen of me to do what I do. I don't give myself enough credit, and I don't realize how much I do. It takes a lot of energy. But I realize, just because I CAN do all these things, it doesn't mean I SHOULD. And I won't anymore. So I had to do something I never like to do: I asked for help.

People always have offered me help and people mean well, but I know how it goes. When it really matters, when it is really needed, the help isn't there, and the perspective becomes "I am being taken advantage of" and "I'm not getting anything for this" or "I'm not getting enough for this" so I don't bother. I'd rather suffer alone with stress and figure it all out then hear those things, just to never be "that guy." But recently when asking for help, I got it and it meant the world.

Two of my students, Samantha Frey and Andrew Kranich have been HUGE helpers in things I needed to get done. The things I needed to do were taking away my energy to more important things to me in my heart that involve my center. I reached out to them, very nervously, and they stepped up. Samantha worked on my computer catching up and learning things which were beyond time consuming and for me quite annoying. I've done it for three years. She was actually having fun doing it. And she got it down pat. She was holding me accountable for a few things she needed that required the progress, which was great, and she got it done.

Samantha is sharp and quick. I don't have to repeat myself, and she just GOES and gets whatever task needed to be done DONE. She triple checks, quadruple checks, takes no short cuts, and follows the systems in place. She is also a great person to hold all accountable for their responsibilities that are required whether it relates to her or affects her in any way, or not.

Andrew is has a creative mind and technologically intellectual (which is something I lack horribly). He created flyers for me, put them out for me, contacted people I needed to contact, organized things for me, helped with classes I needed help with at the center, he has also participated with seminars and clinics that have been taking place here at TMAFC also. Sam and Andrew have been a great yin and yang.

The two of them have been more than helpful, and it was really really hard for me to allow their help to come into my life for things at TMAFC. But I trust them so much with what I delegated, and they have followed through with top notch quality. And the two of them are getting experience and prepared for the great things TMAFC is preparing for in the short term of things. I have plans and ready to take great steps to furthering this center and they and other people will only benefit, as do the members of this center will benefit. I am proud of the quality my center has grown to. And with the added help, things will run even smoother and more successful.

The energy flow has been amazing. And I am so grateful for Andrew and Samantha's help. Thank you guys from the bottom of my heart for your helping hands. (BOWS)

Yours in service,
MASTER TRENTO

1 comment:

  1. We need to see peoples strengths let them do what they are best at. At the same time ask for help from those that truly want to help. It's not about getting back. It's about caring.

    ReplyDelete