Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Faith in Mankind



"Change the way you look at things, the things you look at will change."
-Dr. Wayne Dyer
I heard a story recently about someone explaining how they believed in mankind. An example used was during Hurricane Sandy how people came together to help others who had no power or food or whatever. And a person in the same room disgruntled stepped forward and said "Let me tell YOU about mankind!" (funny feeling that he was not going to tell a story about mankind).

He continued on this whole shpeel of him being on line for THREE HOURS for gas and then this hummer cut in front of the line and harassed the gas attendant wanting seven cans filled of gas and how he and five other people got out of their cars and yelled at the guy and told him to leave the gas attendant alone and go to the back of the line, which he did.

He ended his story with something to the effect of "So there! What's that tell you about mankind!" And the person listening said "Well, I just heard of a story of people stepping out of their cars and sticking up for a helpless gas attendant and making someone do the right thing. That's pretty awesome." The response was "Yeah, you WOULD see it that way."

AND WHY NOT?! We choose the look at the world with the lenses we put over our eyes. We choose, bottom line. Sometimes it's from what we are taught by our parents or mentors, or things we like that we see. Sometimes it is learned through our experiences and circumstances or our lives. But at the end of the day we choose how to see things. You can see mankind as rotten a**holes cutting three hour lines and harassing a gas attendant, or mankind as people defending victims against bullies and making people do right.

I have friends who say "People are all out for themselves!" As I get older, I sometimes see that, and I get upset because I am not like that at all! I am being told I NEED to learn to be MORE selfish in my life! But I also don't want to look at the world as mankind being all about people looking out for themselves. Even the friends I have who say they'll always be there for the ones who they love sometimes aren't. Because their belief is everyone is out for themselves and so should they.

I refuse to live like that. I sometimes falter and want to, but at the end of the day, my faith in mankind prevails. If I gave up on people that easily, I wouldn't have more than half of the important characters in my life. From Kristin Barrett, Andrew Kranich, Professor Sargese, Master Balon, Robert Lisciandrello, Frankie Peracchio, Kenny Perez etc. These are some of the most important people of my life, but if I gave up on them, I couldn't imagine what life would be like today?

And sometimes you have to hang in there and have great faith in people. Sometimes there is evidence on the outside to show you why you SHOULD give up on them. But nothing is a deal breaker. There is nothing all that horrible mankind can do to you, for you to shut them out. You may have to learn how to behave differently for the benefit of your health, but to really cut people off? I see no reason so horrible. Human beings are flawed and fragile, and people forget they themselves are human too. I work very hard not to label or judge. But I like that I have strong faith in mankind.

Recently, someone did something for me that was so huge and phenomenal that it brought tears to my eyes. It was a scenario where anyone looking into the situation would say "But no one has that happen to them. No human being would do that!" But when you look for the good in people, and treat people right, and expect nothing in return (Tao), you find it.

Such as case happened to me today. While driving home from visiting with one of my dearest friends ever, I had to take a toll on the Parkway. BUT! I realized I had no money for the toll! I forgot to plan ahead and didn't have change. I pulled over and scrounged around frantically. Within two minutes, I looked up and another car pulled up next to me. A man had his hand stuck out his window with three quarters pressed against his fingers. "You need money for the toll?" he hollered out to me.

I was in an instant mode of gratitude that melted over me entirely. I even teared up, not because the situation was that frantic, but because that was a true moment of seeing GOOD IN MANKIND. It was a sign from the universe to remind me to never give up on my faith in mankind. Because ALL humans have good in them. Sometimes it has to be shown, sometimes we can bring it out, and sometimes, it can be learned. Don't let your negative experiences take over your view of the world. Change it, and make it so yourself. That is my mission. (BOWS)

Yours in service,
MASTER TRENTO 

No comments:

Post a Comment