Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Long Awaited 3rd Degree

Miss Sue of Fastkix Taekwondo received her 3rd Degree Black Belt this past January
When I tested for my 3rd Degree Black Belt in June 2009, I took my test at Fastkix Taekwondo under my mentor Master Kevin Balon. At the time he was a 6th Degree and we had only known each other for a few months. During that test I met some awesome people including another future mentor, Master Samuel DeJesus who was a 3rd Dan testing for 4th, I met Gabe who is NOW a 3rd Degree and I train with in sparring, and another person I tested with was with a woman named Miss Sue.

Miss Sue is a woman who not only trains in Taekwondo under Master Balon but instructs at his school. I remember when I met her that day, she was warm, welcoming, and encouraging beyond words! She was the school's BIGGEST supporter and BIGGEST cheerleader. From what I gathered being there, she did a lot for the school to show how much she cared for all the students, to motivate them, and to encourage them in every way possible. She made posters and flyers and all sorts of things. She also did a self-defense routine involving Shamwow products that my students STILL talk about to this day.
The testing candidates with Master Balon this past January
When I went back three years later training with Master Balon getting ready for my 4th Degree test, I had the chance to meet Miss Sue many times at the AAU competitions and she midterm tested when I belt tested. She once again was beyond supportive and encouraging. "BRING IT HOME!!!" She would cheer! It brought a smile to my face each time. The energy exuding from this woman was magnificent! What a heart! And even at the competitions, she was so supportive to my own students, as if we were all one big family. That shows great character and heart.

This past January, Miss Sue tested for her 3rd Degree Black Belt. Well there was no way we were going to miss this test. So I made arrangements and Miss Samantha Volk and myself went to the test on a Friday night to support the Fastkix Family, but especially Miss Sue.

Miss Sue never thought she ever would become a Black Belt when she started Taekwondo training, never thought she would compete, and never thought she would teach it. Since then, she has competed and won at state and national tournaments, is a certified instructor, and not only is she a Black Belt, but here she was testing for 3rd Degree! She also apparently lost a lot of weight and is an inspiration to women of ALL ages. You are never too old to train and accomplish anything big in life. Miss Sue is a true idol and we are all so proud of her. We all teared up when that 3rd Degree was tied around her waste by Master Balon.

Miss Sue, congratulations on your wonderful accomplishment of 3rd Degree Black Belt! Three years ago when I was wondering out of the fog, some kid who had a dream of opening his own school, I met you who was positive and full of life. I remember thinking, I hope when I open my school, I could have a Miss Sue who would be MY cheerleader, the way you were for your team. It was only fitting that I attend your 3rd Degree test, when I met you at my own. Thank you for supporting my students and always making us feel welcome when we see you. We all at TMAFC are proud of you, and always support you! Well done! (BOWS)

Yours in service,
MASTER TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment