Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Dinner with Dawn

My close friend Dawn and I last year on our April Fools Birthday Dinner
Sometimes people come into our lives and we never know how important they will be until much later. Sometimes these people become such close friends and you cannot even backtrack how it even came to be. I met Dawn about a dozen years ago when I was working for my old master. She began doing the fitness program with the local community school, and then ventured out to our martial arts studio to take the fitness classes there.

I must have been a twelve years old working behind the desk and entering the attendance for the school. I had to mark all the ladies who came to the class and enter them into the computer. And then when I was done I would sit in the window and laugh and make faces at the girls exercising. It was out of good fun, and they would bust my chops in the reception area afterwards.

Then our martial arts school changes location and as I got older, to maintain my class credits I needed to further test in rank under my old master, I would take the fitness classes along with my martial arts classes and I began to do the cardio kickboxing classes. I of course had to be in the very front so I could be closer to the instructor, who was usually my master at the time.

Well I was standing next to Dawn, we would both be wearing all black and she always had this hair band keeping her hair back. One day to bust her chops, I actually came into class, dressed up as her with the all black and hair band. We had a lot of good laughs. When we worked out during the class, I was the maniac going faster and faster and working harder and harder, with this big smile on my face. With Dawn next to me, it was either my making her go faster and working harder by being next to her, or she didn't want some young snot nose kid like me show her up. Either way, the rest was history.

Dawn has such a sweet caring heart and is such a loyal friend. I knew that back in those "old days". When my old master and I went our separate ways, she kept in touch with me, and when my mentor Charlene gave me a job at the gym in town to teach Cardio Kickboxing, Dawn along with a few other girls I worked out with came to the gym also and continued to take my classes. And then when I opened my school she continued taking classes and working out with me here. It's now twelve years later, and whats even more important is that the friendship continues as well.

I do not like celebrating my birthday for personal reasons. Maybe one day that will change. Dawn is not too thrilled about celebrating hers either. BUT! The two of us decided we would celebrate a pretend birthday for the two of us, and we chose a date right between both of ours. It happened to be April Fools Day. How poetic for we are the king and queen of fools all around!

This year we had our pretend birthday dinner again. And I enjoy so much spending time with my friend Dawn. She is a good soul. They don't make people like Dawn anymore. It's good friends like Dawn for good times and good laughs and good values that make living this life so wonderful. Sometimes we all forget what's really important in life, and life's struggles and challenges blind us to the fact that it still goes on. If we take a step back and look in again and enjoy the time we have with the people we care about most, life can be a really great thing. And Dawn happens to be one of those treasures for me. Happy Fools Birthday Dawn! =P (BOWS)

Yours in service,
MASTER TRENTO

1 comment:

  1. how sweet Trent and as someone who grew up with Dawn I can attest to her warm & kind heart!
    xo xo
    Joanne(Josephine)

    ReplyDelete