Monday, April 22, 2013

The NJ States

I found the AAU Taekwondo program four years ago when I was a nineteen year old business owner, teaching students in basements and garages and my office for business was in my apartment in Garfield, NJ. I was a 2nd Degree Black Belt looking for a way to test for 3rd Degree Black Belt and wanting to become certified in everything I had experience in.

My research had led me to the AAU which recognized both styles of Taekwondo and looked like it had well rounded competitions, and had a Dan certification program that could also get me my Kukkiwon (international) certification if possible. So I looked up the AAU in New Jersey, and the name that of course pops up is Master Kevin Balon. Little did I know what an important character this man was in the AAU and what an important character he would be in my own story.

The AAU has taken very good care of me over the years. Each year I get a little more involved and a little more involved. I do a slow gradual process of my involvement because I do not want to overwhelm myself with a new business, I cannot risk spreading myself too thin, and I have to maintain some kind of control with myself where I don't just jump in full swing and not have a full understanding of how things work or what is expected of me.
My first year was getting ME certified with the AAU. My second year was getting my Black Belts certified with the AAU. My third year was bringing students to AAU tournaments and me and my Black Belts becoming certified coaches. This year, we not only had students compete and coach, but we also had officials, including myself.

This past Saturday was the 20th AAU New Jersey State Championships directed by my personal mentor, Master Balon. I had four younger students compete and my three girls testing for Black Belt next month compete. I had Samantha Frey and Andrew Kranich coach, and Samantha Volk and myself officiated. Andrew and I also competed. This was my very first time officiating officially! Sam did at the NY state tournament back in January.

I wrote a blog recently about how I cannot always do everything. Apparently that doesn't only apply to business.  To officiate, compete, AND coach took a lot out of me. I had a great time, but it was way too much.  After officiating sparring for over two hours, then go in uniform to spar myself, I was done before the match even began! Right after sparring I went right back to officiating. Later went back to  compete for forms, and then back to officiating again! It was a great experience, but to do it all is too much. I will officiate only in the future.

But it did mean a lot to me to win gold in forms at my mentor's tournament with the form that he taught me! That was important to me. I am competing at nationals this year and I want to do well. I only have a few more years of competition left in me before moving onto different paths in my training. But officiating is a fantastic way to challenge yourself.
Master Balon taught me Moon Moo, the form I competed and won with at his tournament. That was important to me.
I really got to meet a lot of new people in the AAU through officiating and making new friends. Some are really big names in the organization too. I am very proud to be a part of this organization. The AAU Taekwondo offers a fantastic program. And Master Balon runs a fantastic tournament. It was pleasure officiating at his tournament and I will definitely be doing it again in the future for him. It was also great to officiate with another one of my mentor's, Master DeJesus. We were just one big family having a great time sharing the experience of friendly competition and providing a high quality tournament experience for all participants. I think we all did right by Master Balon.
Me speaking with mentor Master DeJesus as we both officiated at the AAU NJ State Tournament
I got a lot of experience officiating and I think I had every possible experience you can get. Basic running of a sparring match or forms competition. The proper usages of terms, warnings, we had DQs, we had good coaches, we had bad coaches, we had close sparring matches, we had turnovers from one division to the next, etc, it was really a lot to learn and see hands on and the more experienced judges were extremely helpful.

I was very proud of my students too. Four of them are still new to the competition arena. We had little Sonia win gold in sparring, three boys Anthony, Theodoris, and Tomasz do fantastic. I think we got a Bronze and Silver in there from them. They all did great with their forms, and the "Trento's Angels" Mia, Bethany, and Taylor competed in their last tournament as color belts! But I was especially happy to see Andrew win double gold in sparring and forms. He waited so long to compete and this was his third competition, and he finally made the title of State gold medalist in BOTH sparring and forms. AND he coached all day too. Even Samantha Frey LOVED coaching and really did a great job with the students.

It's hard for me not to coach my own students. Back in the day, it was absurd to think the masters wouldn't coach their own students. That was the mindset back 5-10 years ago for where I came from. And some parents felt the same way back in the day. But the program educates so well and has legitimate certification through their education that parents could even coach and become certified which allows the higher ranking master officiate and give quality judging. It's a different mindset. And of course Sam Volk always is a hard worker and was steller with officiating, and had the opportunity to officiate once again with one of my own mentors! She got to officiate in the same ring as Master DeJesus!
Miss Volk congratulating Miss Sue on her competition
Me teasing Miss Volk who was NOT in the mood! HAHA
It was a great day. It was a fun day. We were happy to be a part of it, representing New Jersey in every way, as officials, as competitors, as coaches, and as spectators. And quite honestly, Master Balon IS the driving force behind the New Jersey AAU Taekwondo, there is no better man for the job! We are proud to be a part of this program, we are proud to represent New Jersey, we are proud to help Master Balon, and we are proud of this tournament event! Congratulations Master Balon on a successful event which celebrated its twentieth year! (BOWS)

Me exhausted after a full day, but happy for the experience!
Yours in service,
MASTER TRENTO

P.S Photo credit to Prof. Lisa Sargese


1 comment:

  1. I got a photo credit!!!! It was my pleasure to be there to support TMAFC. Y'all were in almost every ring at once between coaching, competing, and officiating! TMAFC was totally representin' at AAU :)

    ReplyDelete