Friday, April 5, 2013

The 2nd Degrees!


This past year has been a HUGE year for 2nd Degree Black Belts. In this past year alone I have produced at my own school four 2nd Dan Black Belts at TMAFC. One of my mentors became a 2nd Dan Black Belt in an Israeli martial art, and a friend of mine became a 2nd Dan in Taekwondo within the year. There must be some magical energy about having to do with 2nd Degrees!

Not everyone who trains in the martial arts make it to Black Belt. I mean a TRUE Black Belt. A Black Belt is not so much what one can do physically in skill and technique but what one learns in the heart and mind and how they live life. However, there is a much LARGER percentage of people who DO make it to Black Belt than to 2nd Degree Black Belt.

Me personally, it is a real staple in one's training to make it to 2nd Degree Black Belt. It's a big mile stone and I give a lot of credit to those people who move forward in their training and make it to that point. Not to take away from 1st Degree, but there is just something about making it to 2nd Degree that really shows dedication and commitment to martial art training in a different way.

When I trained under my old master, I made it up to 2nd Degree. That is probably the highest rank anyone ever made it to under my old master. There were certain levels that preceded that rank, but never past 2nd Degree. I think I am the first and ONLY student he ever had to have ever pass that rank, even if it wasn't from him. I remember when I conducted my own Black Belt test for my own students, how excited I was. But nothing made me more excited to do my own 2nd Degree test for TMAFC, and it was ten times more special for me because it was for someone very special for me.

In September 2011, exactly seven years after my own 2nd Dan test, I conducted TMAFC's first 2nd Dan test for my best friend Kristin Barrett. I started martial arts with Kristin and we trained together under the old master. We taught together and we were known as one of the greatest teams ever to teach at our old master's school. Her test symbolized a lot of great victories and personal triumphs and the collaborated energy from the past to present was beyond overwhelming. I believe that first 2nd Dan test for Kristin still is one of the greatest tests I will ever produce. It was also the first time I had three of my mentors involved in my school. You can read about the magic of Kristin's test here.
Kristin Barrett receiving her 2nd Dan Sept 17, 2011
Eight months later, I had TMAFC's second test for a 2nd Degree for Samantha Volk. I began teaching Samantha at the age of seven (I think it was seven, she always corrects me and it confuses me! LOL). She left during her four years of high school, but was always a great supporter of whatever I was doing and she and her family always had great respect for me. She attended my first Black Belt test I conducted, participated at events at TMAFC, attended the grand opening day class, and finally six months after I opened the doors she came back in uniform as a student. I was thrilled. She always said she would never train again, but she did. Not only did she train again, she taught classes and competed. Then, a choice she made by herself, she wanted to upgrade her rank as a junior Black Belt to adult Black Belt and tested for 2nd Degree. I knew the test meant many things for her, and to follow Kristin Barrett was a privilege for her. Today Miss Volk is a certified AAU Official and I am so proud of her.
Samantha Volk receiving her 2nd Dan May 2012
This past September, another student of mine named Erin McKenna tested for her 2nd Degree Black Belt. Erin was one of my first students and she has been with me for many years. Erin was a student training under me when I was still apprenticing under my old master, she is one of the pillars on which my origins of TMAFC began, she was the first Black Belt test I ever gave, she was the first maintenance test for 1st Degree I ever gave, she was the first Black Belt test at my center's location, and it just so happened that this past September, her 2nd Degree test was my first Black Belt test as a master! Also, notice that the three 2nd Dan tests were all female? Something must be said for the women warriors!
Erin McKenna received her Black Belt Sept 2012, one year after Kristin Barrett
However, this past January, the streak was broken when I finally tested my first male 2nd Degree Black Belt for Andrew Kranich. And his test was one of the best panels we ever had, along with a very different approach to how the testing went throughout the week. Andrew's test was a challenging one for many different reasons, but he demonstrated great focus and discipline as a 2nd Dan should. No matter what the challenge was or what the block was, he pushed on. It was a great test, and he proved he learned cumulatively from all his previous tests. This was truly his moment. Being a 2nd Dan suits him.
Andrew Kranich receiving his 2nd Dan Jan 2013
My own mentor, Master Samuel DeJesus also received his 2nd Degree in Haganah and my friend John Vanderhee was awarded his 2nd Dan under Master Dough Cook from the United States Taekwondo Association. So here's to all the 2nd Degrees! I will be ecstatic the day my school is ready to produce 3rd Degrees. Anyone who has seen, heard, or read about the Black Belt tests I have know one thing: Black Belts are NOT given here. They are definitely earned. So to receive that high of rank here will be an experience I look forward to giving. (BOWS)

Yours in service,
MASTER TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment