Monday, April 8, 2013

Mentor Confirmed

"My students have always asked me 'what religion are you?' and I answered that I was religiously promiscuous.  I was. I would worship around! But after much spiritual reflection I have decided to become a member of Christ's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. Please pray that I grow in my affection for the Lord and do his will on earth."
-Professor Lisa Sargese, professor of religion and psychology, confirmed Roman Catholic
I remember meeting Lisa in 2008 in her Religions of the World class at Montclair State University. She was a teacher like no other. I wasn't just learning religions of the world, I was learning life lessons that can be used every day. Students of Professor Sargese were getting skills, opportunities, and exposed to the best experiences that would stay in their hearts forever.  

First day of class she drew a fish and hook on the board. She wrote the word "God" under the fish, and then wrote the word "religion" under the hook. She turned around and said "Don't confuse the two!" I fell in love right there and then. What a PERFECT analogy and lesson. However, one of the most interesting things about this religion professor was the question: What religion is the religion professor??

Lisa was baptized as a Baptist (I think). She believes in Jesus, but for many years she has gone through many trials and tribulations of her own religious and spiritual journey. It has led her to believing that Catholicism was most in alignment of what she felt in her heart with her relationship to Jesus Christ. I remember her joking around that she was "missing out on the real Jesus." LOL!

A year ago, during my mentor time at TMAFC with her, we discussed her aspirations to becoming Roman Catholic. I think it's something she thought about for a few years actually. I don't talk about my religious views very often and I do take a spiritual stance with people, being very tolerant and open to other people's views and beliefs that may differ. But being a Catholic myself, I couldn't help wanting to nudge her in that direction myself. Last year's Lent and Easter season was so much fun with Lisa. We went to my Uncle Tony's Last Supper re-enactment dinner to get ready for the Easter season, and it was THERE we heard the song Beautiful City sung by Hunter Parrish from the Broadway play Godspell.

And of course how obsessed can two people be of a song? Well besides listening to it every day when we worked out and worked together for about 40 days or so and THEN some, we actually went to the city to see the actual play Godspell WITH Hunter Parrish there, singing the song TO Lisa. We attended St Thomas's cathedral for the Easter Vigil mass. And I also brought Lisa to one of my personal Easter traditions to see the Passion Play at Felician College

So Lisa finally began her courtship with Jesus by attending RCIA classes and yesterday had her first holy communion and officially confirmed into the Roman Catholic church. It was a magnificent day. All of the real heavy hitters in Lisa's life, from closest of closest friends, fierce mentors, family members, and colleagues all gathered together under one roof for this holy occasion indeed.

Lisa Sargese embodies the true essence of love. "Love one another." That was Jesus Christ's greatest commandment. Just Love. Lisa exudes this Christ-like quality, and everyone she comes in contact with feels this love, and she attracts people who love her just as much in return, and then some. Lisa, on behalf of all your friends and admirers, we welcome you to the Catholic faith, we congratulate you on this very important and special occasion, and we all love you so very very much. For Love is what you are. For Love is indeed the greatest commandment to our lives according to our Lord Savior Jesus Christ. And it is the Love in your heart and soul as a Roman Catholic that will contribute to our world in creating a BEAUTIFUL CITY. (BOWS)

Yours in service,
MASTER TRENTO

1 comment:

  1. Awesome blog, Master Trento!!!! I love Lisa also - she's a super neat lady and has blessed every life she has touched!!!!

    ReplyDelete