Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Retired Minister

 “This is a story that crosses denominational barriers and reminds us of the love God has for us in that ‘Whosoever believes in Jesus will not perish, but have everlasting life,’ (John 3:16)”
-Pastor Bill Hegedus
For 24 years, the Passion Play Drama Ministries of the Bible Baptist Church have produced the musical drama "The Jesus Story" for Easter. Pastor Bill Hegedus is the director of the play and began this presentation 24 years ago as an idea with the purpose of not doing this play for entertainment, but to demonstrate the love and passion of Jesus Christ.

I have come to every single year since I was born. Of course when I was a baby and toddler I was either sleeping or having no clue what was going on, and may not even remember. But My grandmother, sometimes my aunts, and my mother would take us out to dinner and go to one of the showings of "The Jesus Story". It's something I have done my entire life. There were some years I went alone by myself. It's just something I have always done.

Last year I went with Lisa, and this year we went again and Andrew joined us. And every year Pastor Bill opens the play with a speech and prayer and comes out again before the phenomenal finale with a speech and one more prayer. We don't know each other, but in some weird spiritual way, I have known the guy all my life and I feel he knows me. I've been coming to his play since I was born!

The production has grown tremendously with over 100 crew members from actors, stage hands, technology assistants etc. Pastor Bill has done a great job. And every year, there is always something different in the play. Last year they began as far back as the birth of Christ, this year they began with John the Baptist preaching, last year God's booming voice didn't echo when John baptized Jesus, this year it did, this year they did Jesus walking on water which they've never done before. I think one year they actually had real animals too which I was amazed, sitting in front row with Grandma Yolanda.

But this year there was something else different. After the finale, they announced that after 24 years, Pastor Bill will be retiring and this was the last production he would be doing. I teared up and got sad. And the 100 people on stage were crying and I couldn't help crying too. You saw how much all these people loved this man and all these years he produced this play, it was sad to hear he was retiring. But he made it clear! His retirement does NOT mean the play will not continue. He set everything up just right for successors to be able to continue the play.

It's so wonderful for people like Pastor Bill to have a dream to do something not for money, but to inspire and help people with good intention and prayer, and have with good faith the ability to keep it going on for almost a quarter of a century, and have it continue on even after he leaves. I will continue to go to the passion play at Felician College in Lodi, NJ, and I will think of Pastor Bill as I understand his very intention for the purpose of making this production in the first place. God Bless you Pastor Bill, and congratulations of your retirement! (BOWS)

Yours in service,
MASTER TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment