Friday, April 12, 2013

Long Live the Iron Lady



"Where there is discord, may we bring harmony. Where there is error, may we bring truth. Where there is doubt, may we bring faith. And where there is despair, may we bring hope."  
-Paraphrased quote of St. Francis of Assisi, after Thatcher won election in 1979

This week, former prime minister Margaret Thatcher passed away. Once again, a strong and powerful woman who was a warrior in her own way. I recently wrote a blog on Lucille Ball about how in business she was stern, curt, to the point, no nonsense, and was criticized for her strong personality as she ran her studio. But no matter what anyone said, it was that no nonsense, stern, perfectionist of a personality in her work and running of her studio that made the highest quality of success one can imagine. Margaret Thatcher demonstrated those very qualities in the running of a nation.

Thatcher was well educated, I believed she was a chemist. She married her husband Dennis who was beyond supportive of her endeavors, and politics were her true calling when in the conservative party. When the Conservative party gained power in Parliament, she was elected at the first woman prime minister of Great Britain. The country was in uproar with unemployment and other issues, that even caused riots in the streets.

When the United States was at Civil War, Abraham Lincoln said "Desperate times call for desperate measures." Lincoln did many things in his presidency that really could have gotten him impeached. He did things unethical and against the constitution, but to Lincoln it did not matter what was right by law, but what was right by morals for the greater good for the country. I believe Margaret Thatcher did exactly this. She said what was on her mind, didn't care how she said it, was offensive but correct in what she was saying, and wasn't afraid of what people thought.

She was very unpopular at first, then extremely popular, back down to unpopular, popular again, and the unpopularity once again. Her policies were controversial and debatable and she got a lot of criticism for them, but when they worked and brought the country to a greater place, all of a sudden everyone cheered for her. But when the same situation arised and she would do something that didn't seem right, everyone forgot of her previous successes, and boo-ed her until all turned out great and the hoorays came back.

I cannot stand that. Trust your leaders if they have a pattern of being successful. And even moreso, it annoys the hell out of me when the people working closest with you succumb to the same mindset. IN the movie recently produced The Iron Lady there is a FANTASTIC scene where Margaret Thatcher, played by Meryl Streep,  says exactly what's on her mind for the greater interests for the country, calls the men in power out on their fears and intentions, and is beyond sharp and curt with her own officers in command who have been with her for all three terms.
This scene above is absolutely PERFECT in demonstrating the fierce personality of the Iron Lady herself. Meryl Streep does a fantastic job!

Firm leadership to do what is right, not what is popular is so important. It takes that firm stance to make great things happen. No detail unimportant or overlooked, everything contributed to the greater good for the country. I love leadership like that.

Many people may think, damn but she could be nicer about it. I NEVER take this stance ever, but some will say she was that way, along with people like Lucy, because she was a woman. They needed to be strong and firm because they needed to prove themselves amongst men. I don't ever look at that view and don't see or believe it and my feminist friends will say "Well that's because you're a man!" Maybe so, but I will say this: If that's the case, then who cares! Because I find the greatest leadership and the firmest personalities who were most successful came from these WOMEN! So if that's the motivation to get leaders like Lucy and Margaret like that, then so be it! Because they outshine most male leaders in our history.

Maybe because it's unexpected with women in our society? But in my upbringing, all the women in my life, from my mother and aunts, to teachers and friends, were ALL strong women. I never viewed women as weak, poor leaders, not even as the soft caregivers in a weaker light as I hear sometimes the view of women can be. That has never been my view and I guess that's why I always find the light of a phenomanal female leader in their industry. Whether it be politics like Margaret Thatcher, entertainment like Lucille Ball, journalism like Barbara Walters, or music like Barbara Streisand, the women leaders are sharp, curt, all business-- and the most successful!

From my research and understanding, Margaret Thatcher was also wise. I read some old quotes and speeches of hers and I do believe they are quite insightful and from the heart. Even if other people write the speeches for these leaders, I feel if the leader does not identify and feel the true essence of the messages, they essence will not be conveyed. So I believe Thatcher was indeed wise and true. I will end with this video clip that I use when I teach my older students, and I find it to be one of the wisest things ever put into words. Whether Thacther would really say this I do not know, but I wouldn't hold it past her!
Yours in service,
MASTER TRENTO

1 comment:

  1. excellent. strong to them is natural. it is who they are born to be. a women leader needs to be strong all the way around.

    ReplyDelete